DIY wall removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen in my house was modified by making two small rooms into one and the removal of a brick built pantry.

As far as I can see both the walls removed didn’t have any beams on top (the pantry may have had one or two beams across)

The work was carried out DIY, should this work have been inspected, or even done DIY?

Sponsored Links
The kitchen in my house was modified by making two small rooms into one and the removal of a brick built pantry.

As far as I can see both the walls removed didn’t have any beams on top (the pantry may have had one or two beams across)

The work was carried out DIY, should this work have been inspected, or even done DIY?
I doubt the pantry walls were supporting the floor joists. This could be verified by looking at the joists, their depth and the fact that they were not joined over said pantry wall. I'm guessing that there was no foundations under these walls?

If it is a case that the pantry was non-structural, then the only other things left to consider are mechanical ventilation, radiators (TRV's) and electrics. All straight forward enough to regularise if need be.

The can of worms with modern improvements however is insulating and instances where a homeowner has the opportunity to improve walls and floor insulation.

I doubt the pantry walls were supporting the floor joists. This could be verified by looking at the joists, their depth and the fact that they were not joined over said pantry wall. I'm guessing that there was no foundations under these walls?

If it is a case that the pantry was non-structural, then the only other things left to consider are mechanical ventilation, radiators (TRV's) and electrics. All straight forward enough to regularise if need be.

The can of worms with modern improvements however is insulating and instances where a homeowner has the opportunity to improve walls and floor insulation.
The work was carried out before I purchased the property, it was done about 17 - 20 years ago. the floor was uneven which was rectified with self-leveling

the ceiling is flat with not cracks, am I worrying about nothing or should I get it checked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back