DIY Workshop - Stud walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am currently designing a workshop for my back garden. Footprint is 7m x 3m with a height of 2.5m (pent roof).

Was planning on building a 4x4 timber base frame (which will sit on an appropriate concrete base) and creating 3x2 stud walls that I can screw into the 4x4 base frame.

Plan was to then clad the outside of the 3x2 stud walls with 22mmx150mm shiplap. This leaves a cavity inside the stud that I can insulated, then I can skin the inside wall with ply or plasterboard.

I have noticed a lot of people skin the outside of the stud walls with OSB (11mm) then a membrane and then attach battening to the outside of the OSB/membrane for the cladding:-

23_most_walls_up.jpg

Are my plans doomed to fail? is 3x2 too thin for stud walls? Should I skin the outside of the stud walls with an extra layer (OSB + membrane) before cladding it with shiplap?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
4x2 studs, breather/batten/cladding.

22mm cladding is strong enough.

Insulate between studs, visqueen then osb.

Sponsored Links
as a general comment
make sure the shed is no more than 2.5m above the natural ground level it covers to avoid the need for planning if within 2m off the boundery
and when i built my shed 12 years ago 5" shiplap was just over a pound a metre where as 6" was 50% more for 25% more coverage
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bigall2005/media/e1e47346.pbw.html?sort=3&o=15

Thanks. Yes I am aware of the regulations. "Natural ground level" is a strange term to use. Presumable that is to stop people piling soil up the side of the shed to get away with a higher roof apex?

If you put the osb on the inside it'll be better for hanging things

Thanks. Yes I am aware of the regulations. "Natural ground level" is a strange term to use. Presumable that is to stop people piling soil up the side of the shed to get away with a higher roof apex?

it removes ambiguity from the equation :D

I'd clad the inside of the studs with the 11mm OSB as this not only acts at a vapour barrier on account of all the glue in it but you then can do away with any noggins as the OSB will strengthen the frame. You can also then insulate easier. Wrap the exterior with breather membrane, batten and clad.

This is from another forum from Mike Garnham. Seems to be a pretty good way of constructing an outbuilding, shed, workshop.

howtobuildashed_zps9088f86f.jpg~original.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back