Workshop battening - stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Im currently build my new (first) workshop. I have a frame up that I am about to skin the outside of with OSB. I then plan to wrap this in a tyvek membrane, batten over the membrane so I have an airgap then I can nail my shiplap cladding to the battening.

What horizontal spacing should I put between my battening? Also I was planning on using 19 x 32mm, is this ok?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Batten sizes are fine.
Spacing would be determined by thickness of cladding but normally around 450mm.

Don't skin the outside with OSB, skin the inside. Look for the Mike Garnham plans for workshop building - he's an expert and very helpful.

Who says that? You need sheets on the outside of the frame to carry the building paper and hold the insulation on the inside.

Sponsored Links
the OSB acts as a vapour barrier - it therefore goes on the inside. From the inside out, you want OSB; insulation; breather membrane; battens; cladding.

Not sure if I am allowed to link to potentially rival forums, but the Mike G workshop plans on Wood Haven 2 are really good and you can see that lots of people have used these to build great workshops.

OSB is vapour permeable and should have at least a 500 gauge barrier installed behind it.
There are differing schools of thought on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back