Do all concrete floors need DPM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WHile asking about laying a floor in my bathroom I have been wandering this. Concrete must have been poured over 30 years ago, maybe as many as 100 years, no sign of DPC/DPM in cut out of floor where drain pipe enters another room.

Had a floating floor (18mm airgap under floor boards) for about 20 years and the wood that came up was completely dry and stain free, floor has been up and open for 2 years now (while waiting to get to bathroom for works) never a sign of any damp or sorts showing on the floor.

I'd like to lay chipboard T+G directly on the floor to lay vinyl sheet over it, so that its a)smooth b)so its level with the rest of the floors, the floating floor ended up with a very odd sized step into bathroom that every one tripped over.

If the concrete is so old where would any moisture come from to require DPM over it before laying wood?

Sponsored Links
2 1/2 years lol :LOL: good job I'm not living there. I have, , , "motivational" issues

Sponsored Links
I know that feeling well. The best laid plans... (especially when Guinness gets in the way)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back