do all ovens need a cooker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing my hotpoint double oven......i have the cable that runs straight from the mains but im certain than i should have a cooker switch as well and just wondered if this is correct...[/i]

Sponsored Links
Consult the installation instructions, the manufacturer will tell you. If you don't have them 99% can be found and downloaded from the internet.

It can vary from oven to oven, some can be just plugged in to a socket, although this will be unlikely with a double oven.

A local isolation switch is not required by the electrical regulations.

However, if you consider the emergency switching regulations it could be argued that a readily accessible switch is required which may be why the manufacturers instructions will demand one.

Sponsored Links
Probably not hence my "If you consider" but then if you do not consider it necessary then cooker switches are not required apart from whatever the reason for manufacturer's instructions.

Probably not hence my "If you consider" but then if you do not consider it necessary then cooker switches are not required apart from whatever the reason for manufacturer's instructions.
I would say that it makes sense to have some means of 'emergency switching' which is 'not too far from' (but also 'not too close to'!) a cooker - so if the CU is not reasonably close to the kitchen (and accessible) (which I imagine it pretty often will be), then it probably makes sense to have a switch in the kitchen.

[ Of course, if the reason I wanted to use an 'emergency switch' was because I'd just got a shock off the cooker, I'm not sure that I would want to touch the CU if it were metal :) ]

Kind Regards, John

Ah, perhaps when you have your new CU fitted you should have a warning light which lights when the CU is live.

Ah, perhaps when you have your new CU fitted you should have a warning light which lights when the CU is live.
None of my CUs are going to be changed any time soon and (assuming that even more draconian regs don't appear in the interm period!) even if/when they are replaced, I'll know for sure that their enclosures are not live, without needing warning lights :)

Kind Regards, John

Hi...sorry took so long to get back and thanks for the replies.

Iv had a look at the manual and it says that it must be fitted using a double pole isolating switch with a minimum of 32 amps.......so that will be the cooker switch. ........also i have an old style meter and the cooker fuse is 30 amps.....should i replace this with a 32 amp fuse as well

...also i have an old style meter and the cooker fuse is 30 amps.....should i replace this with a 32 amp fuse as well
I don't think you would be able to find a 32A fuse. A 30A fuse is the 'equivalent' of a modern 32A breaker (which is what they are thinking of), so will be fine.

Is there any RCD protection in your installation?

Kind Regards, John

Iv had a look at the manual and it says that it must be fitted using a double pole isolating switch with a minimum of 32 amps.......so that will be the cooker switch. ......

That's your answer to the first question. If the manufacturer says that you should have a DP isolation switch, then one is necessary.

Iv had a look at the manual and it says that it must be fitted using a double pole isolating switch with a minimum of 32 amps.......so that will be the cooker switch. ......

That's your answer to the first question. If the manufacturer says that you should have a DP isolation switch, then one is necessary.
Before January this year that was true. Now you can do a risk assessment and not follow manufacturers instruction if of course everything complies with amendment 3 which means it will need RCD protection labelling will no longer be permitted.

Before January this year that was true. Now you can do a risk assessment and not follow manufacturers instruction if of course everything complies with amendment 3 which means it will need RCD protection labelling will no longer be permitted.
Unless you do another risk assessment, I believe.

Before January this year that was true. Now you can do a risk assessment and not follow manufacturers instruction ....
As I've said before, I'll be very interested to see if the change in that regulation makes much difference to what people, particularly electricians, do. I suspect that, given the inevitable interest in 'protecting backsides', many electricians will decide that it's 'safer' to carry on blindly 'obeying' MIs (no matter how silly they may seem), just like they always have done. Ironically, some of the more informed of non-electricians may perhaps feel more inclined to take advantage of the change!

Kind Regards, Johne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back