Do b&q or any other stores cut metal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a rail that I need about 2-3mm cutting off, and I'm finding really difficult to be that precise with a hacksaw and don't own an electric one.

I know b&q have a wood cutting service but does anyone know if they will cut metal as well? And if not ate there any other stores that would?
Regards
James

Sponsored Links
You could use a metal file - it may take a couple of minutes...

Thanks for the replies, it's the rail in this link: Rail support arm
I need to just take 2-3mm off, do you think a file set would be fine and cheapest option for that?
Or if i bought a cheap angle grinder, what type of disc would be best? i don't have a vice, so would some sort of abrasive one be better than a cutting one, as i don't think i'd be able to hold it still enough so just cut 2-3mm off.

Sponsored Links
I'd use a flap disc for that. A cutting wheel (about 1.5mm thick) would be tricky and a grinding wheel (about 5mm thick) would likely give a less smooth end result (though the more worn the wheel is the better it would be). Flap discs give a little, which translates to a smoother result on something like this

Also mark the rail up by sticking electrical tape round it, the edge of the tape defining the 3mm you want to remove - it makes it easier to get the end square, then grind down to the edge of the tape. Hold the grinder in one hand, gently grinding the end of the rail and rotate the rail between your fingers in your other hand, gradually removing the material.

Do be careful with the angle grinder; I'd rate mine as easily one of the most dangerous (in terms of risk of injury) tools I own, and mine's a cordless one with a much lower speed and aggression than a cheap mains one. It's also one of the most useful tools I own, and I'd definitely recommend a cordless over a corded, even though they're going to be more like 3x the price

Last edited:
Whatever you do, do not try and use the thin cutting discs to grind down on it, they should not be used for grinding.
A flap disc would do the job very quickly.

Remember to wear safety glasses & old clothes.

(By that mattylad means the only part of a cutting disc that should be in contact with the work is the edge of the disc.

Grinding, which is rubbing the work on the face of the disc, is dangerous with them because the mesh that binds the abrasive particles together is near the surface of the face and is very thin. Once you've worn that away, the disc is likely to explode with the forces it experiences)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back