Wood cutting…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So, I am after some wood boards to be cut at an angle so it makes an octagon shaped bin made out of pine or other light wood, to be stained in the correct colour my furniture is and will be.

My question really is, the big orange store that can cut the wood for you, (I am unsure if it’s against the rules to post name of the store), are they able to cut the wood at angles for the sheet goods?

If not, the shape of the octagon would require precision cutting else some of the seams may not fully align. As I am still finalising my setup for my table saw, I know that the angles won’t be perfect.

Now, the other way I can think of, if there are any saw mills that can do this for me, or if there is another way to do this, would be any one else can do this for me, I can travel in the following area.

I need these bins made asap, as my kittens are destroying what I am and/or been using in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.png
    IMG_0564.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmmm… I seem to have posted this thread far too soon… by accident… I was trying to work out how octagon is spelt.

So, I have a basic table saw, of which I have made improvements too, and now just needing to get some sort of out feed table, some sort of sled.

Anyway, editing first post to say why I am here. To stop all confusion.

Sponsored Links
are you aiming for a long cylinder or a large round flattish tub shape or something else ??
is it a one off or many many where its worth making and using jigs??

So, there will be 2 made, one bin would be for regular rubbish, and second would be for recycling (our recycling is a mixed system) so don’t need to separate paper from plastic or cans… I plan to have these in my bedroom as I what I use now is awful… with my cats running off with bits or knocking the bag down (I currently use paper bags from delivery takeaways) so they can smell some cod, or something.

Having 7 sides would be ideal really but may just go with the much easier 8 sided bin, which would have the same diameter at the top and bottom. So yeah a flattish tube, with a removable lid, and the grain of the wood going up.

If this becomes a success, I would build a bigger (wider but shorter) bin for scraps, and a tiny one for far too small bits I could use it for, so it would end up being used for kindling.

Here is a rough picture of what I plan… please note, it’s from a google search, but does not fully show my plans.

Attachments

• IMG_1965.png
    IMG_1965.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 22
Do you not have a jigsaw that'll cut the wood at the required angle?

Yeah, I can do it on the table saw too, but just not confident that I can do this perfectly as my saw is not fully setup and getting the angle’s perfect is where I am truly concerned about myself doing it yet… with time being a big issue too.

Easy.
Set the table saw at 22.5⁰ angle and do all the lengthwise cuts.
Once joined they'll give you an octagonal shape.
What do you mean your table saw is not set up yet?
It takes very little time and that's the right tool for the job.

Easy.
Set the table saw at 22.5⁰ angle and do all the lengthwise cuts.
Once joined they'll give you an octagonal shape.
What do you mean your table saw is not set up yet?
It takes very little time and that's the right tool for the job.
Unfortunately the angle is not 22.5 deg, without knowing the taper It can’t be calculated.

It is 22.5 deg if you take a horizontal slice and look down on plan, but it’s not 22.5deg from the face of the board

general comments

wood is not ideal for dribbles and wet spots from food/liquid contamination

as far as cutting wood 'the wood needs to be 100% flat or it wont cut correctly or fit together no twist cup 'wynd' bow it also helps if its uniform thickness
as you cannot clamp as such its often easier to glue 2 or 3 sections together at a time and on final completion dry fit and shave off the 2 or 3 sections to get the best fit before tapeing'elastic bands/cords or straps and make it say 25mm longer so you can clean off /level each end
are you planning on loose tounges biscuits or other mechanical fixtures

Unfortunately the angle is not 22.5 deg, without knowing the taper It can’t be calculated.

It is 22.5 deg if you take a horizontal slice and look down on plan, but it’s not 22.5deg from the face of the board
Don't understand what you're saying.
I've made hundreds of octagonal ashtrays all with the same technique.
This is simple a longer piece of wood.

Don't understand what you're saying.
I've made hundreds of octagonal ashtrays all with the same technique.
This is simple a longer piece of wood.
notch has probably suffering from brain fog like i frequently do after several beers where my script in my head makes complete sense to me but to others is often cryptic :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back