Do bathroom 'zones' extend outside the bathroom door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Silly question I know, but read on.....

I plumbed in an electric shower this week and ran most of the cable to save the sparky some leg work. Because the flat has concrete ceilings I decided to fit the isolation switch outside the bathroom as a wall switch - the customer requested this too incidently.

Today the sparky arrived to do his magic, but then told me that the switch is illegal. He says that although the switch is outside the bathroom door, it is still within Zone 2 of the shower area if the door was left open ( it is a small bathroom ). He came recommended so I should trust him, but I thought I would call Mira to see if they could at least shed some light on this. They told me the switch location is fine. Now I know these guys are not fully qualified sparkies, so I thought I would run it past you guys to see if you have encountered this before. Is this legal, illegal or a 'grey area'??

Thanks freinds.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

I did get the feeling he didnt want to do the job - Friday afternoon and all that! . To be honest, I did get a bit suspicious when he first suggested a 20amp MCB for an 8.5kw electric shower. After he disappeared for 10 minutes, he then suggested a 45amp mcb with an RCD. hmmm...

Sponsored Links
I'm with ridicle on this one.
Sounds like a 5 day course Part P jockey.

Ask him the times one trip time on a 30mA RCD, bet he looks it up.

Bathrooms - no. Not unless there is no door.

Swimming pools - YES.

Lectrician said:
Swimming pools - YES.

You have to be very safety conscious when working on swimming pools.....

electricalva7.jpg

............. :LOL:

what's wrong with that? :eek:

the guy is only drilling a hole for a fixing..
he's obviously got an RCD on the drill and a mate nearby to unplug it fast... :LOL:

at least he's got his safety goggles on...:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back