Do Bi-Folds Cause Hot Summer/Cold Winter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Currently got a large conservatory with glass roof and as we all know its red hot in summer and a bit cold in winter. We are also south facing.

We are currently in the process of getting drawings done for some extension work, part of which will involve changing the conservatory into an open plan living room/kitchen with a tiled roof. Room will become approx 7.5m x 6.5m

We would like 3 or 4 bi-folds approx 3-3.5 metres long, a standard window either side and 2 or 3 velux windows up top.

Obviously im not expecting it to be cool during the summer but will it be a lot more 'normal' with the bi-folds than we are currently experiencing with the conservatory and make it habitable all year round? or is it still going to be roasting?

Sponsored Links
I haven't got bi-folds, but I suspect it will be a great deal more 'normal' than the conservatory you are used to! :)

Although, especially if your bi-fold is south facing (and if these extreme weather events become more frequent!), you may wish to consider a feature such as a larger roof overhang, a brise soleil, or window film.
The interior light levels may be slightly reduced, but the best way to protect against solar gain, is to reflect it away before it gets into the interior! :)

Last edited:
You can get bifolds with integral blinds within the glass panel, which you can pull down during the most sunny times and help prevent the worst solar gain.

For heat loss in winter, go for glazing with the best U-value that you can afford. The U-value of a decent bifold door is better than a solid wall without insulation, and millions of houses in this country still have that construction type.

Sponsored Links
Wonder how much they would cost to replace when/if the DG units fail?
Well...since my idiot 11 year old son decided to play with pebbles on the patio a little while ago, I'm about to find out :LOL:

Luckily he only smashed the outer pane so haven't rushed to get it fixed, but I've actually just given the dimensions to the supplier so I'll update you when they give me the bad news!

I would go for the blinds. I have them on my doors and a skylight. Light deflection is key to avoiding warming up a home!

It won't be like a conservatory, and the roof light will contribute more solar gain than the doors.

You can get solar reflective glass if you are worried.

Designing the rest of the construction with more mass, not lightweight will help with this issue, as glazing should not be considered on its own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back