Do decorators still use masking tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am coming to the end of my city & guilds decorating course. I want to know something.

Do decorators still use masking tape?

Sponsored Links
Kevin,

Yes masking tape is still used within the trade, there are a number of uses for it from simple protection of other surfaces, to the setting out in design and geometry.

Dec

Yes we do use tape and my advice would be to find a good one and stick with it. (No pun intended!)

There are loads of cheap ones out there that are either too sticky, not sticky enough, so thin that they tear or just plain old rubbish. A total waste of time and money. :evil:

the decs at my place of work use rolls of the stuff.

Which reminds me of an apprentice quite a few years ago, who on his first day, was told to cover everything and tape the carpet. Half hour later the boss came back to find he had put dust sheets all over the furniture and was about 3' across the carpet with masking tape.

He went by the name of.........

....misterhel... :oops:

Well, it was my first day, and he did say...!!

Sponsored Links
Yes we do use tape and my advice would be to find a good one and stick with it. (No pun intended!)

There are loads of cheap ones out there that are either too sticky, not sticky enough, so thin that they tear or just plain old rubbish. A total waste of time and money. :evil:

the decs at my place of work use rolls of the stuff.

Which reminds me of an apprentice quite a few years ago, who on his first day, was told to cover everything and tape the carpet. Half hour later the boss came back to find he had put dust sheets all over the furniture and was about 3' across the carpet with masking tape.

He went by the name of.........

....misterhel... :oops:

Well, it was my first day, and he did say...!!

hahaha brilliant. I only asked about the masking tape because my tutor is getting me to cut in around glass panes. He said "make you own line with the brush" Its really hard, i would just use masking tape. I think he is teaching me the hard way before showing me an easy way!

Kevin,

Your Tutor is correct in what he has told you, there is no substitute for the clean crisp line that a Dec can achieve with a brush, stick at it mate and one day it will become second nature to you.

Good luck

Dec

kevin87";p="1975388 said:
Yes really hard, i would just use masking tape. I think he is teaching me the hard way before showing me an easy way!
Are you using a worn in brush :?: . you`ll be laughed off the site if you mask off a Georgian sash - and an old - timer will beat you on speed while you`re messing about with masking tape ;) Stick with it .It`s one of the proper decorating skills

Nige F";p="1975481 said:
Yes really hard, i would just use masking tape. I think he is teaching me the hard way before showing me an easy way!
Are you using a worn in brush :?: . you`ll be laughed off the site if you mask off a Georgian sash - and an old - timer will beat you on speed while you`re messing about with masking tape ;) Stick with it .It`s one of the proper decorating skills

Er, I don't think I wrote that Nige!! :confused:

Nige makes a good point - a worn in brush is much better for cutting in against glass and taping it up really is the wrong choice.
If you do get a little on the glass you can always let it dry and use a glass scraper to remove it - a hundred times quicker than tape and without the risk of sticky residue. With practice you'll get perfect lines and lots of compliments!! ;) :D

If i am doing a Georgian sash, don't use masking tape (got it :) )

I was told to paint a little bit on the window?

Yes I agree, providing the line is both clean and smoothe, that would be the correct procedure. Also a very good tip by Nige regarding a worn brush, new brushes should be broken in on larger areas and after time will form a natural taper. These then become far more responsive and make ideal brushes for cutting a crisp & clean finish.

Dec

1-2mm onto the glass, That the bit i am finding hard at the moment. I end up getting angry and then make a mess of it. I will keep at it tho :)

Thanks for all your replys guys sorry to say but i will likely have lots more to ask soon! :LOL:

The council Clerks of works used to say " A 16th of an inch on the glass , no more no less" it does get easier when you have done it for a few years. ;)

Hi Kev,

The boys are right it gets easier and you wouldn't look like a pro masking against glass.
Wanted to ask you as i'm curious, if your doing the P&D NVQ, does the curriculum now push more on acryllic finishing paints? such as water based u/c and gloss etc, the industry seems to be pushing towards these paints so wondered if the current curriculum and teaching methods do to?

Good luck with the course and stick with it, its a real drag sometimes but the knowledge you gain is well worth it

Get yourself a good set os sash brushes, saves so much time and alot easier to use!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back