Do external stairs need to meet regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a staircase attached to the side of my house that brings you to the back garden that is at 1st floor level.

The builder said that regulations do not apply to them, hence the open risers are larger than 100mm.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_195344.jpg
    IMG_20200704_195344.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's just access to the garden, no. Although best practice would require that it is constructed to acceptable standards, as if there were an accident, he would be deemed negligent if not following acceptable and applicable standards.

BTW, is that larch and not pine or similar softwood?

Thanks for the qualification on the standard.

We did have this happen where my 2 year old almost fell off it, which prompted me to look this up. He lifted the railing up slightly and all the posts fell out.

I have no idea of the wood, the stairs themselves are deck treads so I assume it is treated and glued back together now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_191635.jpg
    IMG_20200625_191635.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 290
No B regs required. However I would point out that the reg for open risers is to stop kids hanging themselves, it has actually happened.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, I will pick it up with the builder again as closing the risers will also help with the treads rocking.

Learning so much!

The treads should have a none slip surface. Plain timber, even deck boards are inherently slippy when wet.

Pine timber won't last five minutes outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back