do fibre roof slates curl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard that the man made fibre cement roof slates have a tendency to curl/mis-shape after a number of years, does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

The fibre slates we are considering are ETERNIT THRUSTONE.

Sponsored Links
I have heard that the man made fibre cement roof slates have a tendency to curl/mis-shape after a number of years,

i have seen NATURAL slate do this!

on an old barn at a racing stable i was asked to 'rip' out a slate and replace. the slates looked like they weren't sitting properly. i popped the cat ladder onto the roof and climbed up. these curled slates snapped like biscuits. :eek:

i ended up replacing a dozen slates all in a line up the roof. :rolleyes:

Depends how they are put on. I've never heard anything about fibre tiles.

They should be two nail holes per slate. Usually centre nailed.

Should last about forty years but some asbestos cement slates are even older.

It`s usually the old Asbestoes ones that curl as they delaminate....but that is after a long long time. No probs with fibre cement..use the tail clips as well as double nail. They are very storm proof with their low profile.

Corrie

Sponsored Links
If you are doing a reroof do not use immitation slate.
It breaks up, fades, and can curl in areas that get alot of hot direct sunlight.
The reason I know this is that when they were first popularly introduced in the eighties I did a re roof with these and the roof now needs replacing.
The location was Eastbourne which does get good Sunlight.
Recently in the area I am in now, Nottingham, they have built many blocks of apartments with this rubbish on the roofs.
After 3 years the tiles look as thought they are going to last no time at all.
There are signs that the fibre is already deteriorating.
If you want a Slate effect, USE SLATE.
There are concrete tiles out there to give a similar effect and these work just fine too.

Well Nelsy, the fact that man made slates have two nail holes and a hole in the middle of the bottom of the slate should give you a clue that there have been problems with man made fiber slates in the past,but if fitted corectly i don't think you should have too much problems, well i havnt in the past.
As St.George says its better to use real slates if you can afford it but in the end you get what you pay for.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Cement fibre slates can curl as can cheap natural slate.
If you are using CF slates dont use the very cheap ones, dont nail to tight and obviously use the cdrs.. Even fitted as above very cheap ones can curl a little on the corners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back