Do HW polypipes need clipping?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photos below show two heating polypipes that are being put in that run in parallel with the joists. They are centered between the joists, and are not clipped for a distance of about 2.5m (the pipes go through a block of wood about half way).

I thought that polypipes needed to be clipped but the person who is installing the heating tells me that they do not. He tells me that they will rest on the insulation that will be between the (kitchen) ceiling and (upstairs) floor.

I am confused because page 7 of this document from Polyplumb states 15mm pipes should be clipped every 0.3m when horizontal. And I thought that pipes will move over time and loosen connections.

Do they need clipping or are they fine left unclipped?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do they need supporting is the question and the answer is yes, how you do it is up to you. Sagging and unsupported pipes tend to move with expansion and contraction and if near a joint will put undue strain on the fitting.

Always follow instructions as the life time span of the guarantee of fittings and pipework will be useless if a problem is found. Simple answer is phone tech support of manufacturer or better email for conformation of the situation.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Yes, they need clipping as per the manufacturers instructions. Sounds like you've got someone with a "sling it in and run away" attitude...not really someone I'd want working on my heating! Was he the cheapest quote by any chance?

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
I thought that polypipes needed to be clipped but the person who is installing the heating tells me that they do not. He tells me that they will rest on the insulation that will be between the (kitchen) ceiling and (upstairs) floor.

Tell him the manufacturer asks for clips therefore that's what you want, regardless of what he may think is ok.

His problem is, probably why he's saying it's ok, as the pipes run centrally to the joists he will probably have to add sections to allow clips to be added.

• Thanks
Had the insulation already been in place and the pipes fitted from the top then most would probably say they were supported and so adequate.

The makers instructions on clipping will be written to assume the clips are the only form of support.

• Thanks
Noggins made of roof batten across joists will sort that and the pipe will be supported if you want to add clips to that the easy done.

As Agile says they need supporting however if there are very long lengths they can twist so if you are concerned phone tech of the manu and you will have peace of mind.

• Thanks
I've never cabled pipes under a floor without lifting every third board to fit a clip brigade springs to mind.

• Thanks
Sounds like you've got someone with a "sling it in and run away" attitude...not really someone I'd want working on my heating! Was he the cheapest quote by any chance?

I agree, sling it and run. Was he the cheapest? We didn't actual hire him - we employed the builder. But yes, the builder was the cheapest (although recommended by architect), and yes I can now see why. Lesson learnt.

Argh ... yet another argument to have with him ...

His problem is, probably why he's saying it's ok, as the pipes run centrally to the joists he will probably have to add sections to allow clips to be added.
Spot on. Yes, he hasn't really thought about that. If he'd put the pipe next to the joist it would have been easier to clip.

Had the insulation already been in place and the pipes fitted from the top then most would probably say they were supported and so adequate.
This is kind of what he is saying - which is that when the insulation goes in the pipes will be supported. What difference does it make if the pipes go in before or after insulation? I would have thought that the pipes would squash the insulation which isn't ideal.

just add some noggins , bits of batten or like as already mentioned by spareshunter , quickest and easiest, well thats what i would do anyway .

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back