Do I have a wiring issue on my Y Plan 3 port valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I recently had an electrician round to do some electrical work and he had to go inside the airing cupboard terminal box as he used some old wiring for our unused thermostat (we got a Tado last year)

I believe he’s snipped something he shouldn’t as motor is not getting any power at al, tested with voltage pen. It’s currently stuck on HW only (can set to manual)

I have a PMV22 Salus.

The white wire goes into my terminal box with nothing coming out of it and it never goes live (manual says it should be live with HW is on)

I have a unused live wire from the stat that goes live when HW is on (I assume this is to power the white wire?).

electrician saying they only cut the wire for the old stat but clearly they’ve done something else...may need to charge me.

does it sound like my loose live wire ought to be plugged into the terminal against the white wire?

Sponsored Links
Please post a photo of wiring in wiring centre (your terminal box). A pmv22 is a 2 port valve, and please for your own safety do not use the volt pen unless you’re testing a gas pipe or any other extraneous metal part of your system - they’re inaccurate for proving correct voltage.

Please post a photo of wiring in wiring centre (your terminal box). A pmv22 is a 2 port valve, and please for your own safety do not use the volt pen unless you’re testing a gas pipe or any other extraneous metal part of your system - they’re inaccurate for proving correct voltage.

Apologies I have a 3 port PMV32

Excuse the mess, sorry!

this is the info I’m going off https://salus-controls.com/files/PMV2228-Quick-Guide.pdf

specifically this bit “
When A is open & B is closed; white 0V, Blue is N;
When B is open & A is closed; white 230V, Blue is ”

the loose yellow wiring behaves like line 2 - when HW is on its live, when CH it’s not love

Attachments

• ACDC0E06-9E35-4A97-8FC3-CBEA538D2605.jpeg
    ACDC0E06-9E35-4A97-8FC3-CBEA538D2605.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
As @Chris_W correctly says a PMV22 Salus is a 2 port valve and wont have a white wire, yet you say you have a Y plan which is a 3 port valve and may have a white wire , pics tell a thousand words, sorry overlap when typing

Sponsored Links
As @Chris_W correctly says a PMV22 Salus is a 2 port valve and wont have a white wire, yet you say you have a Y plan which is a 3 port valve and may have a white wire , pics tell a thousand words

Sorry it is a PMV32 3 port. The Salus document has both valves on the same spec sheet and I just mis-took the title on the first page

I could be wrong but it looks like your switch live is missing back on the white wire? Or a link should have been placed?

I could be wrong but it looks like your switch live is missing back on the white wire? Or a link should have been placed?

I am thinking the same but not sure how to find that wire. Could it be the one that is loose in the photo that goes live when HW is on?

I am thinking the same but not sure how to find that wire. Could it be the one that is loose in the photo that goes live when HW is on?

Could be but looks short. I’d do what @ianmcd suggested first and get the sparks back for free. As is quite often said to us in our industry “It was ok until you touched it”.

Could be but looks short. I’d do what @ianmcd suggested first and get the sparks back for free. As is quite often said to us in our industry “It was ok until you touched it”.

Yes it’s definitely too short, I think they cut it and did a botch job just leaving it love (thinking it was old stat).

Would it be easy for them to “extend” and make contact do you know?

thanks very much for the help

Yes they should be able to use a connector block and extend it. Please don’t think about doing it yourself though, as we don’t know if it’s the correct wire.

Yes they should be able to use a connector block and extend it. Please don’t think about doing it yourself though, as we don’t know if it’s the correct wire.

thank you very much for your help. I’ll get in touch with electrician

Hi all

electrician tried to extend the wiring to plug into the white but this hasn’t fixed anything, still only hot water.

he was a bit baffled as as soon as the HW was hot, the loose cable was live, as soon as it meets the white it doesn’t go live.

still getting no power to the motor at all.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 13BA0F6F-CBC7-493C-8686-FEBB7A39655D.jpeg
    13BA0F6F-CBC7-493C-8686-FEBB7A39655D.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Sounds like a wiring issue somewhere along the line. Your room stat is turned up, yes? You have selected heating on the programmer yes?

Sounds like a wiring issue somewhere along the line. Your room stat is turned up, yes? You have selected heating on the programmer yes?
Yes I have a tado and that appears to work fine. I hear it switching.

what confused him was why the loose wire went live when HW was on but off when connected to the white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back