Do i have the right to do the following?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend lives on a private road with a large front garden

Virtually all of the residents have allocated parking, however he does not.

So he is thinking about using a portion of his front garden (his land) as parking. It is the green grassy area.

Is this possible? Or does he need to consult or get permission from the council?

The parking would be behind two allocated spots which never get used.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_194024449~2.jpg
    IMG_20200524_194024449~2.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links
How would he access the space if the allocated parking bays were occupied? Is there access from the right or is that over and via a raised kerb?

It's paving and green grass to the right hand side.

Nothing is raised as far as i remember

Apparantly, the parking spaces are never occupied. In a year he has only seen one of the two slots (briefly) occupied approximately 5 times

Sponsored Links
He did that when he first moved in and an owner complained

I mentioned earlier that the slots are never taken as the owners do not have vehicles...

My mate would like to know whether he has the right to lay some asphalt (or similar) to create some parking in his front garden or whether he needs to notify/get permission from the local council?

It's paving and green grass to the right hand side.

Nothing is raised as far as i remember

Apparantly, the parking spaces are never occupied. In a year he has only seen one of the two slots (briefly) occupied approximately 5 times

Irrespective if the allocated bays are rarely occupied, doesn’t give your friend to use them to access this off-street parking. There will be a time when the bays are occupied and then what... your friend cannot do anything about it. If the current owners don’t use them, that doesn’t mean future owners will not.

Your friend can get into issues with Planning/Highways if they are driving up and over kerbs along with pavements.

Once they have ascertained any legal issues about rights of access, there are rules governing driveways/parking via the Planning Portal...

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/45/paving_your_front_garden

Critically, does your friend have any (legal) right of way with vehicle across those allocated parking spaces (presumably thats not an adopted road). There may also be covenants in the deeds prohibiting parking anywhere on the estate except in allocated parking bays.

Also, if he has no right to park in any of the allocated spaces, doesn't it follow he also does not have the right to drive through them to get to his own space?

Nozzle

Also, if he has no right to park in any of the allocated spaces, doesn't it follow he also does not have the right to drive through them to get to his own space?

Nozzle
Yerse, flip that round & the parking spot would be no use as a parking spot if there was a right of way across it.
Suspect your friend is out of luck with his plan, his best bet is to find out who those spaces are allocated to and try and negotiate a rental deal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back