Do i have to have a raised hearth & best way to make opening smaller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Two question. Many thanks for your help in advance. See attached photos.

I have scoured the building regulations (scotland) and cannot find anything saying that a hearth must be raised (in relation to surrounding floor). Yes it must be distinct etc but does it have to be raised?? I have been told by various people that it does. You can see that it is currently flush.

2. See attached photos.

What is the best/easiest/quickest way to make the builders opening here smaller. I want to make it the same size as the inside edge of the cardboard you see in the photo.
I was planning on building up the sides with brick and mortar and then adding a concrete lintel above. Or steel?
There is already a proper load bearing lintel above the top cardboard section so the lintel i install is basically a false lintel.

Is there an easier way than i propose?

Also what is the best way to render the resulting brick faces (left and right)? Thistle bonding coat followed by a skim?

Or hardi board directly on to brick and painted?

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0033 2.JPG
    IMG_0033 2.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Hi all. Two question. Many thanks for your help in advance. See attached photos.

I have scoured the building regulations (scotland) and cannot find anything saying that a hearth must be raised (in relation to surrounding floor). Yes it must be distinct etc but does it have to be raised?? I have been told by various people that it does. You can see that it is currently flush.

2. See attached photos.

What is the best/easiest/quickest way to make the builders opening here smaller. I want to make it the same size as the inside edge of the cardboard you see in the photo.
I was planning on building up the sides with brick and mortar and then adding a concrete lintel above. Or steel?
There is already a proper load bearing lintel above the top cardboard section so the lintel i install is basically a false lintel.

Is there an easier way than i propose?

Also what is the best way to render the resulting brick faces (left and right)? Thistle bonding coat followed by a skim?

Or hardi board directly on to brick and painted?

Many thanks for your help.
There needs to be a barrier to rolling a carpet or rug over it

If you simply have a raised hearth then it will make the carpet more vulnerable to stuff falling out of the fire. It would be more logical to have a slightly sunken hearth.
Or the traditional fender to catch rolling coals, logs or embers.

Sponsored Links
English building regs J3.41 say:
The edges of hearths should be marked to provide a warning to the building occupants and to discourage
combustible floor finishes such as carpet from being laid too close to the appliance. A way of achieving this would be to provide a change in level.

So it's not mandatory but if you don't do it, it's up to you to say how you're preventing someone from laying a rug on it.

One of these would do the trick:
https://www.gratefireplaceaccessori...-fireplace-fender-48-to-60-three-pieces-black

The Scottish Regs don't even say that so it looks like you're ok:
https://www.gov.scot/publications/b...ppliances-relationship-combustible-materials/

Last edited:
Plenty of older houses had a tiled area at the same finished height as the floorboards.
They then used fenders to surround the area.
It depends if you’re having a real fire.
A smaller safe area could be used by using a fender surround. I don’t know the rules but I remember a friend’s house had a sort of chain curtain that hung from the lintel.

you could just have a slab of stone an inch or two thick laid over the area.
Or create a period/ modern tiled area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back