Do I need a bath frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know a few old threads on this already but wanted to what advice was out there.

I'm installing one of these into my bathroom:
http://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/cleargreen-viride-offset-bath.html

I was going to build a frame along part of the outer side and also try and support the curved bit with a baton, but the underside of the rim is too thin for 2x2 and not sure if there's much point in using anything smaller.

The bath itself feels sturdy, thick and there's no flex when I lean on it so wondering if I need to bother with a frame at all? The legs are attached directly into the rim, and it's going to be screwed into the walls and the floor and tiled in too.

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Bert

Sponsored Links
So it comes with a cradle? If it's up against a wall then always good practice to use a couple of batons along the wall IMO. It allows a seal to be introduced under the lip as well as one against the edge to wall surfaces.

Yep, take a measurement when the bath is at it's correct height & level (don't forget the bath panel when setting height), you can also 1st fix the waste and water connections at this point. Scribe/line the wall a couple of mill below the actual height measurement, securely fit batons to wall at that level. Once ready for final fit, a nice squeeze of good quality silicone along batons and bath to wall edges and sit in place, fill with water and allow to settle/set overnight. That gives you 2 out of the three water seals (below, beside and on top) you're looking to get.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks Rob. I've only ever heard of just putting silicone along the top edge, but the three seals sounds like a much safer bet.

Single sealed bath's are the biggest offenders for leaking. As the silicone ages it can harden a little and then can pull off the wall. With at least 3 seals and a bit of support below then it's belt 'n' braces. The baton isn't really there to carry the main bath weight, more to add support and a ledge for the seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back