Do I need a builder or Structural Engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get someone round to look at some work that's been done on my house to remove a chimney breast (prior to me owning it). I want to check that the remaining parts are all properly supported.

I did have a survey before buying the house but as usual it was pretty useless. The work was done over 10 years ago and there's no sign of movement so I'm sure it's all pretty solid, but I'd like an expert's opinion

Should I get a structural engineer, or a builder? What's the difference?

Sponsored Links
a builder can explain the practical reasons why a house is likely to fall down.

a s.e. will be able to prove it with mathematics. ;)

noseall said:

Bit of a sweeping statement there noseall :!:

Their should have been a building notice served when the chimney breast was removed so the survey you had should have identified that

Sponsored Links
I'm not either, but when I had some removed I had to notify building control. My builder knew what to do and the inspector just looked to see if he was doing it properly.

It's such a common job that they've both probably seen hundreds in houses just like mine was.

I had to submit a plan, but the builder told me what needed doing and I just wrote it down and drew it with ruler on squared paper. Building control asked me to add details - padstone reqired here? What dimensions is this bracket? etc, which the builder knew. the builder wanted to corbel out the brickwork but the BCO insisted on steel support (if that matters)

freddymercurystwin said:
noseall said:

Bit of a sweeping statement there noseall :!:

'twas mainly said in jest freddy. ;)

Chimney breasts are supported all the way up their length by bricks that are bonded into the main wall. You can't make them fall down if you try. The gallows brackets simply support the last few bricks that aren't bonded in.

OK great. Thanks all.

I ended up getting a builder to have a look around and he said everything looked like a good job had been done. So I'm pretty happy with that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back