Do I need a gas fitter to change a PCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A number of regulars in this forum have been very kind with their time helping in another thread here (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274445&start=0). This is looking as if the PCB on a Glowworm Micron 60FF may need replacing.

I am an electronics tech, who is very used to swapping and repairing PCBs and was weighing up the pros and cons of doing this myself rather than try and find a registered gas installer to do it for me. I have read that after fitting a PCB there may be checks needed on the gas side of things - which would mean getting someone in.

Can anyone tell me is it strictly necessary to have an rgi change a PCB or can I do it myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
my spin on this depends in the actual boiler, we will all agree that you need a gas engineer to change a gas part, so let the debate begin...................... IF the PCB has a potentionometer which adjusts the gas rate then gas engineer required, but CORGI issued a TB years ago saying that it was acceptable for certain parts to be changed by sparks etc, but we could argue that a broken boiler cant kill you, but change a part, any part and bring it back to life, and if someone dies due to flue/vent combustion issues, how will a spark check these thigs, a gas guy needs to confirm an appliance is safe to leave if worked on

See GSIUR part 26.9

The likelihood that you can strictly fulfill its requirements is pretty low.

PCBs tend to govern or deal with things like gas rates, flame failure detection and other safety stuff depending on the boiler.
But it has to be said, that if you can fully carry out all the work described in the commissioning part of the installation instructions, you probably wouldn't miss anything that would kill you...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back