Glowworm Micron 60ff Boiler PCB Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

haven't posted for a while as everything has been going sweet as pea...till now!!... I have an issue with a Glowworm Micron 60ff Boiler pcb.

It has been operating sporadically recently...going off before reaching stat temp, not starting when it should basically very erratic without pattern. Irritating stuff really.

Anyhow, today we had a scenario of the boiler refusing to light and locking out.

Here's my query....

After consulting the manual it steps you through the box diagrams to root cause the fault..fuse, gas on etc etc. so with no obvious stupid faults found we called a Gas Safe qualified engineer out and he diagonised a faulty PCB. Fair enough if that is the problem. I asked him to show me how he came up with the fault.

He showed me that the plug/socket connection on the pcb for the gas valve was suffering from a dry joint as touching one of the cables re-energises the Gas Valve solenoid and hey presto the gas fires up after reset. I asked him how long it would take to re-solder the obvious dry joint on the underside of the pcb. I was expecting him to say 15 to 20 mins, but he announced that Gas Safe only approve of practices of replacing parts...aka £100 plus for a replacement pcb and labour. Gobsmacked is an understatement, I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade and cannot fathom for the life of me why this would be!!!! I asked him to leave as am furious that such a simple repair cannot be sanctioned by Gas Safe approved practices, and is going to cost me money I could better spend elsewhere.

I'm not up to speed Gas Safe practices and am waiting on another firm to come out late tomorrow to have a look at it but this seems very un-customer friendly.

Am I being paranoid believing that I may have nearly been ripped off as he also does work for my brother on his properties and am a bit suspicious that he sees us as easy money?

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's perfect advice. Why don't you pay him 50 / 60 quid for his time and diagnosis and solder it up yourself?

I possibly would depending on the visit later on tomorrow...or is it today !!!

I'm more concerned over the reference to Gas Safe practices and what the Enginneer can and can't do, am being told left right and centre that if I open up the boiler to do anything it's illegal. My missus works for the HSE and is extremely concious that I can't go getting my soldering iron out and fix this boiler myself.

I appreciate that in the eyes of the law etc etc that I'm not classed as a 'competent person' even though I've served my time and been through the mill with a degree to become a competent Electrical Engineer etc but for heavens sake it's a dry joint and I or the Heating Engineer can't legally tackle it as it's not considered good practice by Gas Safe!!!! If someone can provide me with the link to the relevant part of the code of practice I'll take it on the chin and apologise to this guy I sent away!!

Ok winger err I mean ginger, just solder the thing up yourself, your house your boiler your money your neck, £100.00 plus for a dry joint, I know what I would do.

Sponsored Links
I am very disapointed that you have ripped off this engineer by calling him out and then not paying him !

We are not permitted by law to fit parts which are not approved by the manufacturer. a repaired pcb comes into that category. He was only advising you correctly in accordance with the gas regulations.

So you dont pay him!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back