Do I need a new PCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got a Glow Worm Micron 40FF about six years ago. Three years later the PCB burnt out and I got a replacement. Now, another three years on the PCB is flashing with some diagnostic message. Does this mean I need a new PCB?

The plumber is telling me that it is all linked together but the flowchart for the diagnostics says there are flashing lights and it looks like it might be the thermistor. Is there any reason why I should be paying for a new PCB as well?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for response.

Both lights are flashing and it looks from the diagnostics that it is the thermistor. Should that fix it do you think?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks - I really appreciate your input. I am kind of trying to find out if the plumber is at the lash!

dunno

if it was me i'd go for the cheaper bit first with the proviso that if it didn't work

no comeback

then start looking at boards

hell fella thermistor is only a couple of cents compared to a pcb :idea:

Any customer friendly person fixing boilers will change the thermister if thats what the boiler's diagnostics say is wrong.

Of course its the PCB which makes that decision but its 99.9 % likely to be right in that case.

To test it you done even have to fit the new one. Just connect the wires to a new one loose and see if that cures the fault.

Of course its even easier to just measure the resistance of the boiler sensor!

Tony

Do I get this right?
Boiler (self diagnostic system) says: £10 sensor is knackered.
Plumber says (without indication why): nah, let's change the £150 pcb.
We don't know what the faulty part is, so it is 50/50.
However, it is fairly simple to test the sensor after it has been changed, but impossible to test the pcb that came out.

Draw your own conclusion.

In fairness a faulty thermistor usually takes out the board so he is covering his bases really to prevent it looking as though a; he doesn't know his job and b; he is charging you for parts you don't need.

Yeah, to be honest I have kind of drawn my own conclusion! However, to be honest, I am trying to be as discreet as possible and the fact is the work has already been done! What I now kind of need is some kind of evidence/proof/support that I should not have to pay what he is billing me for. Difficult when you are a 'numpty-who-works-in-an-office' and knows nothing about the real world lol!

Thanks a lot.

Sorry to say, but you don't have a snowflake's chance in hell. Job is done, evidence is gone, and the boiler works.
Write it off to experience, and learn from the forum how to find a good RGI, for the next time you need one.

if you've still got the old style thermistor with a new pcb, chances are you'll be seeing flashing lights again soon. Should be replaced together, although you can't always expect your average RGI to know that.

Well thanks guys. You are all awesome for taking the time and effort to give freely of your knowledge like this (to someone like me who knows nowt!). I think I might try and take this further. My first stop was really just to get a feel for whether or not the faulty thermistor and a PCB failure went hand in hand.

So your input has been very helpful and most gratefully received. Will get on here in future if I have any more 'housey' problems, before i rush for the phone!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back