Do I need a liner for a wood burner in an existing chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an existing brick fireplace with a clay back.

I'm aiming to knock out the clay back and attempt todiscover the original fire place.

I'd like to have a wood burner but not knowing much about these I was wondering whether I would need to line the chimney which I understand could be expensive?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the condition of your chimney, which can be inspected by your HETAS registered installer

Liner is approx. £25 metre to installer. Then depends what he wants to charge to do job (£400-£800 inc. mats as a rough idea for house under 10m). Takes an hour or two usually. Problem is getting on roof without taking too many risks. installer often charges high because fraught, dangerous job. Scaffolding can add a lot of £'s.

Wood burners I have seen fitted - some with liners , some without: ones with liner perform noticeably better - unless chimmney very good condition. By better I mean better draw, more controllable (can make it roar or turn it down to lazy flame).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back