do I need a lintel/RSJ or any support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a old airing cupboard that I'd like fit a washing machine and a tumble dryer now. The depth of the space is 61cm. This means I need to remove part of the back wall to give me enough room for the washer and dryer.

The wall is built in 60s with some sort of grey/black breezer blocks. It sounds very hollow when I knock on it, I can easily chip it with a screwdriver.

It's 95cm wide x 240cm tall and I would like to cut a hole of 60cm (w) x 85cm (h) at the bottom. My initial thought is that a lintel or RSJ is needed to support the opening even though it's not a load bearing wall, but several neighbours have done it (we are in a purposed built flat), some have timber frame around the opening but not all has it.

Can someone clarify if any structural support is needed for this opening please? Surely the blocks will one day fall down bcoz of gravity?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ck-walls-down-technique.359502/#ixzz62zvBX5W5

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back