do i need a new consumer box

M

marsaday

i understand the regs have changed again.

the sparky fitted a new consumer box last sep with one rdc.

we hope to convert our attic and the electrics have been taken up the hall wall to go into the attic ready for this conversion. we will start next yr some time.

do we now need to change the new consumer unit ?

Sponsored Links
No you don't, technically, thou I would have thought the spark would have thought for longer as the majority knew about entirity RCD protection.

All circuits on one RCD means pitch zero power on tripping, nice in the dark!!!

However are all your circuits on 1 RCD ? or did you end up like me when a spark fitted a CU a few months before 17th edition was to be inforced, and fitted a split load... 5 way non RCD, and 5 way RCD protected. And this is before I understood what 17th edition was.

incidentally, if you had a LABC inspection now, would they pull you up on not having a 17th edition CU ?

Technically, if the system was designed before 1st July 2008 then it can be installed, inspected and tested to the 16th edition of the regulations.
If it hasn't been designed yet then it will need to be done to the 17th, I doubt you'll need a new CU - you'll probably get away with the use RCBOs (depending of course if they make them for your CU).
What make of CU?

Sponsored Links
incidentally, if you had a LABC inspection now, would they pull you up on not having a 17th edition CU ?
They shouldn't, as there's no compulsion to have one.

[THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR PENSDOWN & DINGBAT TO DISCUSS THE TERM "17TH EDITION CU"]

cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif

[/RESERVE]

:LOL:

It's a bit hard to discuss the subject when quite clearly there must be loads of 17th edition regs books out there with page 39 either missing or blank..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back