Do I need a new pump or am I just blocked??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Am running a firebird boiler, with reillo burner on a sealed system. All have been switched off, for about 4 days, over the recent cold weather (gotta love the mrs "helping" save money :LOL: )

Turned it all back on and have no problems with the boiler, fires up no probs. But when I go to the pipes/manifold ect for rads the hot water is not circulating, evrything is stone cold.

Pump seems to be running, hot water above and below, can hear it, but looks as though its not getting into house (boiler is in shed outside).

Has the cold weather broken the pump in some way? Pressure guage on system reads 2bar with it all switched on, so am unsure if its the pump or my other thought was there must be a blockage in the pipe going into the house.

Ive done the whole bleeding everything to make sure its not an airlock.

All helpy gladly accepted. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Sponsored Links
hi
yeah that was my first thoughtbut all my other water pipes, mains, garden hose etc are all working just fine. (all in same shed)

The temps even a balmy 2 degrees!!!!

Still not working, god bless the guy that invented hats!!

Two port valve sticking shut maybe, just allowing the boiler to circulate through its bypass?
Have you any DHW?
John :)

Sponsored Links
hi john

no HW, cant get it without the CH heating running as it goes through the immersion tank. I know, its a weird set up, but thats what you get when you buy a new house!!

Are both the flow and return pipes at the boiler bouncing hot, then?
Are there motorised valves on the system?
If the pump is actually running, the limited supply of hot water has to be going somewhere....

Are both the flow and return pipes at the boiler bouncing hot, then?
Are there motorised valves on the system?
If the pump is actually running, the limited supply of hot water has to be going somewhere....
Ok, just checked boiler, flow, is scalding hot, return its cold.
To me that says airlock, but ive bled the system.????

Im no plumber but i understand CH!!!! this ones got me stumped!!!

Airlock is certainly possible...but Kev's pump is the first to try. Remove the centre screw, prepare for a bit of water spillage, and see if the shaft inside is spinning. Give it a whirl with a screwdriver if it isn't.

guys

just want to say thanks fo the help, i know its new years eve and we all want to be doing something different. Still not working but i appreciate the time youve taken to try.

Many thanks

Andy

Airlock is certainly possible...but Kev's pump is the first to try. Remove the centre screw, prepare for a bit of water spillage, and see if the shaft inside is spinning. Give it a whirl with a screwdriver if it isn't.

Ill try it now, just got to find screwdriver. At this stage a f**cking big hammer would be tool of choice!!!

just undid bleed screw on pump, **** loads of water but seems to be spinning ok. May just take it off tommorrow (depending on hangover!!) and strip it see if it helps.

Oh and both flow/return is now hot. Flow is scalding, return just warm.
How can that be cos pipes nside still not even a little bit warm? Im assuming its just latent heat from the boiler??

Dont know if it makesa difference but its a bungalow i live in!!

forgot to add...... no motorised valves. Got caught with that a while back so took it out!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back