Do I need a Powerflush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new condensor boiler and 6 new radiators put in my new extension using plastic piping. There will also be 7 existing radiators, which have copper piping. The new boiler will have a magnaclean filter put in.

Now I am getting mixed messages about powerflushing. One plumber says that gravity flush with Fernox is sufficient with a magnaclean. and powerflushing might cause damage to the existing radiators and pipework and that you are really wasting your money.

Another is saying that you must powerflush as well as a magnaclean filter.

What do you think? At the end of the day, I don't want old stuff in the old radiators "damaging" the new boiler.

Sponsored Links
A lot of people will frighten you and tell you that you need a powerflush purely to get more money out of you.
If system has been properly installed and even occasionally had inhibitor added then it should be ok , very easy to tell as its draining down and quick check of how its all heating up before hand

There is more than one way to skin a chicken...

The goal is to get your system as clean as possible and powerflushing is a means to that end... but not the only way.

Putting a cleaning chemical in and letting it run through your system for a few weeks can also clean your system.( you would need to be running your heating every day though)

I would argue that a hot powerflush with a strong chemical will get you a higher standard of cleanness then just a bottle.

What you need is a clean system, the method is up to you and your installer.

A powerflush will not cause damage it will only uncover problems that you already had. If the only thing stopping your rad from leaking is a scab of rust then it was already faulty. Plus the bottle in for a few weeks could just as easily uncover the same problem...but when the installer is not there :LOL:

also if your sytem is badly fouled then the bottle for a few weeks may not be up to the job.

the best way is powerflush, then a bottle in for a week and a filter

Sponsored Links
I am having a new condensor boiler and 6 new radiators put in my new extension using plastic piping. There will also be 7 existing radiators, which have copper piping. The new boiler will have a magnaclean filter put in.

Magnaclean on an existing system is fine to make sure no left over dirt gets into the new boiler. It has nothing to do with whether you just flush
with chemicals or that you use a powerflush

Now I am getting mixed messages about powerflushing. One plumber says that gravity flush with Fernox is sufficient ...

It may be, it may not be, hard to tell from a distance

and powerflushing might cause damage to the existing radiators and pipework

That is complete nonsense

So, Legion, after a long and verbose reply, your advice to the op is:
The best way is to remove your rads manually and flush em through with a hose.

Most manufacturers insist on a powerflush before installation. My advice is follow MIs. ;) `verbose`, nice word have to look that one up,
Fair enough, if that's what the MI insist on. But you seem to be questioning the effectiveness of powerflushes -"it`s a small circulating pump of no use whatsoever and is a gimmick sold to the multitudes of idiots like yourself."
So, what you're saying is to powerflush it since that's what the MI insist on, but the most effective way is to remove and flush the rads out.
I'm purely asking for clarity, not for the sake of argument but for the benefit of the op who, well, may not really wish to trawl through the usual diatribe that occurs when you contribute to posts ;)
However, I do recognise your advice that the chosen installer's word will be the final one, as it is he who will be providing guarantees etc.

So, what you're saying is to powerflush it since that's what the MI insist on, but the most effective way is to remove and flush the rads out.
I'm purely asking for clarity, not for the sake of argument but for the benefit of the op who, well, may not really wish to trawl through the usual diatribe that occurs when you contribute to posts ;)
However, I do recognise your advice that the chosen installer's word will be the final one, as it is he who will be providing guarantees etc.

What I say is of no importance. move on. Hope that was not too much of a diatribe. ;)

and this is how we debate the pros and cons of powerflushing

:)

still made me laugh.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back