Do I need a steel lintel for my new hole in wall fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Gazco Studio Slimline balanced flue hole in wall fire. Will I need a steel lintel to support my brick work. The internal brick will be cut for the fire to sit into and a circular hole will be cut for the flue pipe. My gas fitter says I won't?
Can anyone advise. (10 year old house no chimney)

Sponsored Links
Your man is correct. Using a core drill the hole will be the correct size and requires no lintel. Plenty of boiler flues are run through walls like that.

Although the fire instructions say lintel req , seen loads fitted in a mixture of brick/breeze and thermalite with no lintel with no ill affects to structure of rest of the wall /building

Is it the outside wall that is the supporting wall in that case. Yes a core drill will make the hole for the flue pipe but quite a big rectangle is cut into the internal wall to house the fire unit.
Thanks for your replies. My first ever post on here

Sponsored Links
You need a big hole in the internal wall, nearly 800mm wide. I'd definitely fit a lintel to save any future problems.

going back on myself the ones i have seen are standard size fires and usually only about 450mm t0 max 600mm holes but some of those gazco are 1200mm wide i would use a lintel in those

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back