Do i need an "FSU"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi 2 questions in 1 rather than 2 posts

Hope I have the letters in FSU the right way round, lol

I am fitting a double socket in my small bedroom as it only has one single socket so double on other side is much needed

The single socket is part of the ring as it has 2 feeds connecting into the back of it, can I simply attach a 3rd cable to this which would feed my double socket wire will be going under the floor boards

also...I have removed plastic conduit from the corner and chased the wall and simply put the conduit against the brick, will this suffice or does it need to be of different material, conduit cover is also on and hope to simply skim over with plaster

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Just found this while using google

//www.diynot.com/img/forum/spur-man2.gif

This helps me understand the layout of all the cables a lot better but.....I don't understand why some of the downstairs sockets have come from junction boxes and some haven't

The image shows 5 double sockets that all feed 5 other double sockets so this means 3 X grey connections behind the white double sockets, this is how I imagine doing mine

are you sure that single is on the ring? because it has brown & blue cable i would say it probably isnt.

Yano me being inquisitive I was going to ask that question to anyone helping me on this thread, this is a council property so every expense is spared

Where can I look to see if I have a ring circuit?

How would this affect how I install a new double socket?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
To tell if that existing socket is on the ring, turn the power off. Check it is dead. Disconnect socket. Test for continuity between live and live. Neutral and neutral. Earth and earth. If you have a circuit between each set of conductors this should prove it's a ring.

What size fuse or mcb protects this socket? 30/32 amp? Answer this first, may save a bit of time and effort.

A 20 mm rubber grommet should be used round the cable entries of the metal boxes.

Green and yellow sleeving should be placed over those bare earth wires.

Some capping or conduit would be nice over that new socket cable, though not essential.

Using that old trunking over your shower cable is ok, but capping may have allowed you better coverage with the plaster, because it's thinner.

Had been on a 16 or 20 amp circuit you wouldn't have needed to check if it's a ring.

You need to check if the socket is on a ring. Do you have a test meter?

The different colour wires may suggest a spur has been taken from a spur. It could also suggest an original cable has been repaired/replaced. Or the ring has been extended.

So you need to test if it's a ring before you do anything else.

No test meter, suppose I could only do a visual inspection is that possible?

No test meter, suppose I could only do a visual inspection is that possible?

It may be.

Easier to borrow a meter though. In layman's terms, you need something that will buzz or light up when you touch the two test leads together. This is me trying to be un-technical.

Multimeters are about £5 from Maplin. Alternative is to take up all your floorboards, to follow the wire.

Multimeters are about £5 from Maplin. Alternative is to take up all your floorboards, to follow the wire.

Oh dear, so I have to determine first what type of circuit I have before I add this spur?

I will try to get a multi meter then and get back to yas

Thanks for your help guys

Just out of curiosity, what are the two ways I add this double socket, one way if I have a ring circuit other way if I have a radial circuit am I right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back