Do I need building regs or permision?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently purchased a 1920's property with a sunroom structure incorporating the original outside toilet to the rear of the property. I am aware that the structure has been attached to the property for at least 25 years (My neighbour has informed me that it was there when he moved in) but I cannot find any mention of it in the deeds. It was listed as a utility room on the estate agents documents.
It has new looking poly sheet roof and is partially walled with single glazed windows to the rear and side aspects. The windows are completly shot, having rotted away from the sills up. I want to replace the window units and the door. I am not looking to extend the exsisting structure in any manner.
Do I need permission?

Thanks Matt

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking if you are replacing windows you should get the work done by a FENSA contractor who can self-certify, or make a Building Regs application. This is if it's a room, if you have a translucent roof and mostly glazed walls, and an exterior grade door between the sunroom and house it probably is classed as a conservatory. I don't know if conservatories are subject to the FENSA/notification requirement.

There is no requirement for FENSA/notification if you are repairing the windows.

As well as thermal insulation there may also be regulations requiring the use of toughened/laminated glass in certain locations.

Providing it meets these requirements;
• Not less than ¾ of the roof area made from translucent material, and
• Not less than ½ of the wall area made from translucent material
• Either unheated, or heated by a system with own and separate heating controls (ref. Approved Document L1 CL 1.59(b)), and
• Be separated from the main residence by "external" doors

you can call it a conservatory. As such it’s not subject to Building Regulations with regard to minimum thermal requirements, will not require notification or FENSA certification. The only requirement is that any replacement/repaired windows must use safety (toughened) glass in critical locations.
http://www.windowstoday.co.uk/glass_safe.htm
Any new electrical work must also comply with current regulations.

You may actually fnd it's cheaper to buy a new conservatory than repair what you have.

Ok thanks- I am going to speak to the neighbours just to check that they have no objections and then replace the units as stated above. There is a seperate external door between the kitchen and the utility room and it has a fully transparaent roof and is partially glazed on the walls( possibly not quite 50% but I think I might take a risk).

Thanks again this forum is really useful.

Matt

Sponsored Links
I am going to speak to the neighbours just to check that they have no objections and then replace the units as stated above.
This often seems &, in many cases is, the right way to do it but you’re under absolutely no obligation to do so & it sometimes opens a can of worms. It rather depends on how you get on with your neighbours & any “history” before you arrived on the scene; this sort of thing, along with planning submissions, often leads to surprises & sometimes neighbours turn out to be not quiet who you thought they were.

What you’re proposing is no more than maintenance to an existing “conservatory” that doesn’t require planning (it’s already there) &, providing it complies with the above conditions, is not subject to Building Regs approval either; apart from the glass & electrics. I would certainly approach it from the angle that I was advising them what I was going to do in the interests of neighborliness rather than seeking their approval & asking if they have any objections; never invite problems where none should exist. ;)

i would further add to richards post
because its maintainance the regulations applicable at time off building apply
if you do alterations or rebuild you will have to comply with present regs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back