Retrospective Planning application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small utility room/sunroom to the rear of the property that attaches the exsisting outside toilet to the kitchen. how long does someone have to make an appeal against the fact that there is no planning permision for the structure? all of the window frames are completly rotten and I want to replace them with UPVC but having looked at my deeds there has never been a planning application for this structure to be erected. Having spoken to my neighbour it has been in place for over 20 years but I dont want to spend money on something which I could later be told to pull down. Is there a rule that if it has been up for x years and not complained about then I am allowed to leave it in place.

Having already posted a question with re to building regs, I am aware that if this structure was to be called a conservertory then I would be permitted to keep it, providing I keep in line with the regs re windows and electrics. However the structure does not currently have windows on 50% of the walls.

Sorry, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks Matt

Sponsored Links
How do I go about proving this though? I dont really want to ask the neighbour if he has any proof incase he gets arsey when he is aware that there is no permission.
Thanks Matt

Sponsored Links
Well, who do you need to prove it too exactly? In anycase you have rotten timber windows and it must look pretty old. Its not very likely that someone will raise an objection now. Why would your neighbour get arsey? I think you're worrying about nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back