Neighbours Planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My neighbour keeps applying for planning permission.
he lodged Planning Permission for Double story extension and Gable end of main roof in April 2006. This application was approved. I was consulted.
He then lodged second application in October last year without consulting me. He teamed up with his immediate neighbour and got planning office to allow him gable end on main roof. I wasn't consulted. I got to know when the planning office letter arrived inviting comments either for support or rejection. This was again approved even though I sort planning office to give me clear answers as to what appearance and finish will the gable end have.

The planning office totally ignored me even though I had written to them.

Now the work commence at start of April. Gable end is in and dormer window has been constructed. The work has been suspended. I had a hunch something is not right because gable end window opening has no window and dormer window has no window. Last Friday third letter from planning office arrived informing me of new planning application has been lodged.

I paid planning office a visit this morning finding out that the second application had condition attached that his immediate neighbour has to also build gable end and a dormer window. That neighbour has no intention of building he teamed up to support. Is this not misleading planning office.

The third application he wants to extend his dining room. Again he has mislead planning office in saying that he has consulted his neighbours(s) and that he has demolished part of his home ready for build when he has not done so.

How can I make planning office aware that something fishy is going on. I suspect all three are involved the property owner, the architect, and the builder.

Sponsored Links
Find out name of someone in the planning office - preferably the manager.

Then send them a recorded delivery letter detailing your concerns, the fact you have not been consulted and send some photos if you can prove the applicant hasn't demolished what he claims he has.

It doesn't matter what may or may not be going on, the application can only be assessed on the details available at the time and in accordance with the development plan.

What cunning scheme or act of deception which may be taking place is irrelevant.

If something occurs afterwards, which is contrary to the approval given, then action may be taken then, but can't be allowed for in the decision process

The neighbour doesn't have to consult you, but the planning department should and it seems they did. So you were consulted on all these applications.

Visit the planning department and ask to see the full planning files. They cannot refuse to let you see them and you may glean far more information.

Sponsored Links
You need to understand that your neighbour has no obligation to get your “approval" of what he proposes or even talk to you about his intentions; in fact he can even apply for planning permission to demolish “your house” & develop “your land” with “a block of flats”, even though he doesn’t actually own it; how about that then!
You can only object on “recognised planning grounds”. 80% of objections fail because they are on purely emotional grounds, you can’t object simply because it may inconvenience you (within reason) or you just don’t like the idea of what they are doing. Your guy sounds like he may be “a bit cute” to planning procedures & is testing the system; the only way you are going to combat that is to understand & play by “procedure” so you must help yourself & understand the rules!
When an application is submitted, the planning authority must advise if it affects you. If you feel it does, then you must then object, in writing, & the authority must advise how you can do this. Some applications are very repetitive & never go away. Submissions & withdrawals can go on for many, many years with their hope that something/someone may wobble in their diligence; the pricing structure is all wrong & doesn’t discourage this AT ALL . Our small village has, for many, many years, had an on-going problem with a local rugby club which has big national aspirations & wants to undertake a massive development of it’s facility (on green belt!) which will, basically, destroy our village; you just have to live with it & be diligent & see them off at every turn!

Yes, as soon as I get some spare cash, the divs at my local planning office are going to get a few demanding planning applications for various spurious time consuming buildings to take up a bit more of their overworked time. And appeals too.

It should be fun :evil:

Yes, as soon as I get some spare cash, the divs at my local planning office are going to get a few demanding planning applications for various spurious time consuming buildings to take up a bit more of their overworked time. And appeals too.

It should be fun :evil:
What's all that about then! :eek:

...a few demanding planning applications for various spurious time consuming buildings to take up a bit more of their overworked time. And appeals too.
You attitude makes me puke - you regard a government department as a separate entity to the local population that it serves and supports, seemingly forgetting who foots the bill.

I'm glad you don't live near me, otherwise I'd have to pay extra council tax for your resource-wasting activities. You and Birmingham deserve each other.

I'm just a little annoyed with arbitrary decisions and a jobsworth attitude, where the excuse is often related to being too busy [to consider alternatives] and being so inflexible and devoid of common sense it's unbelievable.

There is a bit of a authoritarian culture in place and the existing employees are all clones/drones of the leader.

You can really tell when a temp or agency planner is in as the level of helpfulness and demonstration of actual thinking goes up significantly.

Yes I'd really like to give them some work to do, and with them knowing that the decision does not matter one bit, but the hours they will have to put in and be tied down in minutiae will be a little payback for the wasted time and expense they cause

You attitude makes me puke

"Go woody, go woody, go woody" lol :p

spotman.gif
spotman.gif
spotman.gif

You need to understand that your neighbour has no obligation to get your “approval" of what he proposes or even talk to you about his intentions; in fact he can even apply for planning permission to demolish “your house” & develop “your land” with “a block of flats”, even though he doesn’t actually own it; how about that then!
You can only object on “recognised planning grounds”. 80% of objections fail because they are on purely emotional grounds, you can’t object simply because it may inconvenience you (within reason) or you just don’t like the idea of what they are doing. Your guy sounds like he may be “a bit cute” to planning procedures & is testing the system; the only way you are going to combat that is to understand & play by “procedure” so you must help yourself & understand the rules!
When an application is submitted, the planning authority must advise if it affects you. If you feel it does, then you must then object, in writing, & the authority must advise how you can do this. Some applications are very repetitive & never go away. Submissions & withdrawals can go on for many, many years with their hope that something/someone may wobble in their diligence; the pricing structure is all wrong & doesn’t discourage this AT ALL . Our small village has, for many, many years, had an on-going problem with a local rugby club which has big national aspirations & wants to undertake a massive development of it’s facility (on green belt!) which will, basically, destroy our village; you just have to live with it & be diligent & see them off at every turn!

Hi Richard "C"

Yes whilst I agree there isn't much I can do but it does annoy me that I over looked a point in my recent extension. It occured to me late in day as it were that I could extend my rear bedroom slightly and that would have given me ample room to fit a door way to my upstairs new room.

I talked with my neighbour. He agreed and allowed me to do that. Taking his word I submitted second application for that little bit. I waited and waited until one day I called planning office to find out what have been decided. I was told I have an objection by the same neighbour who allowed me to go ahead. In this situation the neighbour used me to loose my application fee.

My point is the planning office took objection more seriously even though I indicated on the application that my neighbour has agreed and allowed me to extend my bedroom 1.5m out and 2.1 wide. I am nolonger on speaking terms and shall never entertain him.

Right this other neighbour has a condition attached to his second application and construction of his loft conversion is half built. The condition is that both neighbours construct gable ends. I have obtained a copy of conditions from the planning office.

I am sure something fishy is going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back