Do I need fire rated downlighers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're selling our home and the buyer has requested an EICR. We booked someone to do it, who turned up last night but just had a look around. From walking through the door, all he did was pick faults. "That's a fail", "Those need changing", "That consumer unit is a fail".

He didn't do a report, just looked around and arranged to come back to do it.

One of the things he's highlighted is that we need to have fire rated downlights. For context, we had a single storey extension build around 2012-2013. It has a single board of plasterboard, and it's not pink (no it's not a fire rated ceiling). As it's only single storey, there's nothing above it other than some roof space. I'm not an electrician, but it's my understanding that we don't need fire rates lights.

I'll replace the lights if they need to be changed, but I can't help that the electrician was simply looking for work for himself.

Here's a few other things he pointed out as 'failures';

- Switch for oven not correctly secured (fair enough on that one)
- Downlights in single storey extension are not fire rated
- Solar installation doesn't have it's own RCD (the Inverter has a built in RCD so I don't know how this impacts that)
- Consumer unit needs replacing, it's pretty old, metal, and doesn't have RCD's, I think it has MCB's instead(?) Based on my understanding, this might be a C3 on a report, but the way he was talking is that is NEEDED replacing.

The property was built in the 70's by the local council and has been kept it good condition. It's never going to meet current regulations, but I got the impression that he was pointing out work that needed doing to bring it up the current standards, rather than looking for things that are actually dangerous.

Here's a picture of the consumer unit. All he did was look at it, but right away said it was a fail and needed replacing

IMG-4009.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We're selling our home and the buyer has requested an EICR.
Tell him/her to commission one then at his/her own expense.
It is customary that any surveys, including electrical, are commissioned and paid for by the potential buyer.
I would not trust a survey, including electrical, provided by the vendor.

Sorry, I should have been clear.

We're part-exchanging our home for a new build, and the builders legal team have asked us to supply an up to date EICR.

Last edited:
Looking beyond your first sentence it looks as if your “someone” is trying to create work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have been clear.

We're part-exchanging our home for a new build, and the builders legal team have asked us to supply an update to date EICR.
Once again ask, or get your solicitor to, them to commission one at their expense as is customary. They are trying it on.

...and - no, you do not need fire-rated downlights.

I would therefore doubt the rest of his assertions.

Get someone else - if you get anyone.

I agree with Winston but as it is the builder, perhaps they might try it on to reduce the price of the present house.

An EICR is some ones personal opinion about the state of the electrics, normally the comments are coded, C1 dangerous that is easy, C2 is protentially dangerous, and all 230 volt is protentially dangerous, and C3 is improvement recomended, and inspectors can swap and change between C2 and C3 there is no fixed demarcation line between the two, it is more down to the written report.

Also an inspector can agree with client on the % tested, so rather pointless going by a report written for some one else, the buyer needs to tell the inspector what he wants doing, let's face it, doing a quick walk around is still a report on electricial condition, so needs to be commissioned by the buyer.

Once again ask, or get your solicitor to, them to commission one at their expense as is customary.
Customary means nothing. If the contract with the purchaser states you need to supply an EICR that that is what you need to do. Or walk away...

Never heard of such a contract. It would not be in the purchasers interest.

Is he in Scotland?
I think you know the point I was making. Nothing wrong with sellers providing info, it is then up to the purchaser whether they want to proceed or not.

Never heard of such a contract. It would not be in the purchasers interest.
The builders solicitors simply emailed ours asking for an up to date EICR. I don't believe it's part of the contract, so I guess we could refuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back