Do I need planning permission to cover back yard?

11 Oct 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am.considering covering the back yard of my terraced house, possibly with some kind of lean to, clear plastic roofing sheets.

Would I need planning permission?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
you need planning permission to cover above 50% off the origional area around the house as built or as after ww2 in 47
does yours come close ??
In supplement to what bigall said, you also need planning permission if the council has taken away the rights, known as Permitted Development, granted to houses by central government. To ease strain on the planning system, most houses have automatic permission for certain minor works. Councils can remove these rights, usually by an article 4 direction, which affects many houses in an area or by specific conditions on a particular ocular planning permission, which affects a smaller number of houses.

Before building your lean to you should seek to establish whether you do have PD rights. If you do, you can build within the rights you have. If you do not, you need to make a planning application (but there is no fee). If you want to build something that would not be allowed under PD because, say, it is too large, then you need to make an application and pay a fee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links