Do I need planning to brick up a door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, im planning to brick up my side external door.

The door has neer been used in the 15 months we have lived in this house... as we use the front door and rear patio door.

The side door is in our eyes wasting space in our kitchen if i was to brick it up we could add more storage to the kithen etc...

Would i need planning to do this?

Any advice / ideas would be great....

Sponsored Links
the best thing to do is to ring your local building control / planning office, mine were very helpful when i had questions.

it is unlikely that it will be a planning issue, but use the same bricks and mortar as the existing and "tooth" bond the bricks into existing.

don't forget to use dpc, insulation and tie wires (if you're blocking up internally).

noseall said:
it is unlikely that it will be a planning issue, but use the same bricks and mortar as the existing and "tooth" bond the bricks into existing.

don't forget to use dpc, insulation and tie wires (if you're blocking up internally).

Or if you cant get the same bricks, set them back 25mm and make a feature of it, works a treat

Sponsored Links
ModernMaterials said:
could well be a planning issue especially if its considered necessary for a fire escape

Excellent point, although is it building control that deals with emergency egress?

snozzer said:
ModernMaterials said:
could well be a planning issue especially if its considered necessary for a fire escape

Excellent point, although is it building control that deals with emergency egress?

it would be building control that would deal with the fire safety aspect. it may be necessary to fix a smoke detector local to the door though nothing more.

planning would have concerns with a first floor to ground level external steel fire escape though.

Building control have no remit to get involved in this type of work.

With bregs, 'Means of sscape' is only relevant when dealing with NEW notifiable work ie new build or extensions or structural work, and the escape route is considered as part of those works. The Fire Precaution Act does not apply either

You can block up every door and window if you wanted to on your existing house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back