Do i need this watertank with a combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moving into a 2 bedroom house with central wet heating. The scheme has no gas:(icon_sad.gif. in the kitchen there is a big indirect cylinder (water tank)an a combi boiler at the other side. takes a lot of space up in the kitchen a its in a big cupboard. can anybody tell me if I can remove it? is it off use? do I need it? and if I do whats the estimate to move to loft if it is possible is it hard? thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it being heated? Before you do anything you need to work out why it is there. If you discover that it is required for some reason you won't be able to move it to the loft, it needs a cold water cistern to feed it from above and the easiest way to do this is from the floor above.

You say you have a combi boiler and gas?!

Are you sure it's a combi and not a system boiler, ie the heats the radiators and the hot water cylinder?

More pics would be good.

Sponsored Links
You don't have a combi so yes, you do need the tank. It could be moved into the loft provided you have enough headroom to raise the cisterns above it, but it wouldn't be easy or cheap, you would have to pay someone to do it. Also you have an electric boiler so expect high bills.

what does your combi work on if you dont have gas ? is it oil? are you sure it is a combi what is the make and model ?

Easy job to move it up to loft . A little bit of copper pipe- and even change it for a combination cylinder . Known as 'Fortic tank'. (that's if you dont have a combi). Not much pressure though if you run a shower off it.
Otherwise -similar sort of Combination cylinder-- and you can also run it off economy 7 electric. Really cheap to run.
I have such a cylinder fitted to use in conjuntion with my system- in case gas combi boiler conks out . Not conked out yet though :LOL: ..
Half a days work to fit it/move it . That includes a few brew breaks . :)

Get a few plumbers round to tell you what the 'craic' is .
Then get a decent builder round and see what he says .

Most builders do plumbing- without the need for the high prices .

Like I said -- it's a small job and half day --no probs .
The builder will also be able to do the patching up work too- at a SMALL cost..
Please ignore the insults that are thrown at me because I know 'plumbers games'.

Good luck bud-- take my advice and you wont go wrong .
regards,
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back