Do i need to change Consumer Unit no more fuses for shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Few questions please im currently having a Shed 15 Meters from my house i would like it to be used for a Model railway, a PC and 1 spare socket that would be used for something like a hoover, also a waterproof socket outside the shed for the Lawn mower, and 2 lights or may be 1 strip light instead.

View media item 3123
1/ Do i need to replace the whole consumer unit( well not me a Qualified elec ;) ) or is there an addon CU i can purchase.

2/ Will 2.5 armoured cable be anough for the length im covering regarding Voltage drops?(I measured up to 25 Meters Max underground route) also can the armoured cable go along the house wall once its come up out the ground from across the garden soil area or does it need to go underground out the way untill it reaches the point it enters the house?

3/ Finally can i add the electrics myslelf from within the shed from the armoured cable?

Thanks for your time

Clubb699

Sponsored Links
1) No sign of RCD protection so it would be advisable to have your CU replaced.
2) 2.5mm² does seem a little bit on the small side to me.
3) What part of the UK do you live in?

Thanks for the reply ;)

CU replacement would this then have anough room for the extra armoured cable or do i need another addon CU along side of CU replacment also?

Ok what sort of cable thickness would i be after for the armour cabling then?

Im in wolverhampton West Midlands ( Anyone close anough fancy taking this on for the right price ;) Hope i can ask this on here?) :oops:

If you want a new CU then get the eleccy to install one with a few spare ways so you can expand at a later date, you may as well also have him do the armoured cable as a new circuit is notifiable to your LABC under part p.
What is your loading on the circuit going to be? Any heating?

Sponsored Links
What is your loading on the circuit going to be? Any heating?

12 Volt Adaptor for Model railway.
Plug socket for Hoover or power tool (Normal Hand Drill)
2KW Heater
Personal Computer and monitor (2 sperate plugs needed)

2 Lights energy effecient 40 Watts

Outside Plug for Lawn Mower.

Thanks

1/ Do i need to replace the whole consumer unit( well not me a Qualified elec ;) ) or is there an addon CU i can purchase.
I hope the ;) doesn't mean that you're not actually planning to get a qualified electrician.

A 2nd CU will be cheaper than replacing yours, although the latter is something you should be considering anyway.

2/ Will 2.5 armoured cable be anough for the length im covering regarding Voltage drops?(I measured up to 25 Meters Max underground route)
Will 15A be enough for your shed?

Do you enjoy digging trenches?

Why not ask the electrician to put in 10mm² and be done with it?

also can the armoured cable go along the house wall once its come up out the ground from across the garden soil area or does it need to go underground out the way untill it reaches the point it enters the house?
Along the wall will be fine.

3/ Finally can i add the electrics myslelf from within the shed from the armoured cable?
You may, but you'll have to notify your council first.

Whether you can or not I have no way of knowing....

I hope the ;) doesn't mean that you're not actually planning to get a qualified electrician.

A 2nd CU will be cheaper than replacing yours, although the latter is something you should be considering anyway.

Do you think im crazy or something :eek: >>>>> Explanation of a WINK took from the University of WINK symbols is below.

A wink is a gesture to or as a signal of affection or greeting,or a hint that there might be local work in west midlands to do this Job for the right price by the person doing the winking.---Page2 of the winking code conduct Edition 2.

Joking appart Yes i understand were your coming from but im not one of the Numptys that wants to kill myself ;)

Thanks might aswell upgrade

Not sure hoping someone else could tell me that. :?:

Yeah im up for anything.

How much is that for 25 meteres of 10MM cant seem to find that size there is 4MM though will that be ok

Thanks

Ok thanks will phone them up.

Cheers for the feedback.[/quote]

How much is that for 25 meteres of 10MM cant seem to find that size there is 4MM though will that be ok

about £85 + vat. It probably is a little overkill, but no harm in using cable too big :)

Joking appart Yes i understand were your coming from but im not one of the Numptys that wants to kill myself ;)
That's what the numpties think as well... ;)

Not sure hoping someone else could tell me that. :?:
Hmmm - let's see - how might we find out what you will have in your shed...

(well it makes a change from that drugged-looking guy with the tea cosy on his head...)

Ok thanks will phone them up.
How will they know? (whoever "they" are....)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Like your Humor ;)

Ok i did post above these replies hopeing it could be worked out the post said.

12 Volt Adaptor for Model railway.
Plug socket for Hoover or power tool (Normal Hand Drill)
2KW Heater
Personal Computer and monitor (2 sperate plugs needed)

2 Lights energy effecient 40 Watts

Outside Plug for Lawn Mower.

No more than this list would be used in , there is nothing else i want to use.

Cheers

Seems to be crying out for a 16+6 garage unit supplied by 4mm² or 6mm² SWA, depending on total length, either from a breaker on the non-RCD side of the house CU, or from a switchfuse.

But assuming you were joking when you said you like digging trenches, you probably wouldn't want to do it again if your needs do change - "trench" is not a euphemism, it needs to be at least 400mm deep. So ask your electrician to quote for 10mm² as well - the % difference won't be large.

And consider a CU in the shed with spare ways, and one with a main switch not an RCD and use an RCBO for the socket - then if it does trip you won't lose the lights.

Hi ban-all-sheds,

Thanks alot for that information looks like the 4MM will be the least to use then ive measured it to 25Meters with spare for inside shed and CU Connection i will confirm this with the Electrician and ask for a 10MM quote aswell.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back