Do I Need To Drain Down To Fit Magnaclean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought it was about time I joined DIYNOT, rather than just reading other people's posts. Hello to all.

I want to fit a Magnaclean to my combi boiler. The boiler is on the ground floor, there are rads on the ground floor, plus first and second floors.

If I turn the F & R iso. valves off under the boiler, can I cut into the vertical return pipe under the boiler to fit the Magnaclean without draining down? Or will I be cacking myself, cutting the pipe, with the likelihood that all the water will flood out?

Sponsored Links
YOU WILL GET WET THE VALVES WILL ISOLATE THE BOILER NOT THE PIPEWORK. DRAIN IT DOWN. PLUS DRAINING IT DOWN WILL REMOVE SOME DEBRIS WILL UR ON

if you have to ask then maybe it would be wise to get a plumber in to do it :LOL:
either that or wear waterproofs!!

Chances are you'll get very wet. Drain down required.

Sponsored Links
Thought it was about time I joined DIYNOT, rather than just reading other people's posts. Hello to all.

I want to fit a Magnaclean to my combi boiler. The boiler is on the ground floor, there are rads on the ground floor, plus first and second floors.

If I turn the F & R iso. valves off under the boiler, can I cut into the vertical return pipe under the boiler to fit the Magnaclean without draining down? Or will I be cacking myself, cutting the pipe, with the likelihood that all the water will flood out?

The answer to your question depends on if it matters if the floor gets a bit wet.

If it was in a cellar and the electrics could be safely covered up its possible to depressurise the system, turn of the isolating valves and all of the rad valves and,

With the right equipment, the parts all to hand,

And

Some experience, do a relatively "not to wet" a job.

With out wishing to sound patronising, you may not have done enough plumbing jobs to enable you to tackle this particular task, although you would learn a lot by simply watching someone else do it.

Tim

if you are going to do it wet. DE-PRESSURISE the system before cutting into the pipe work or you will get nasty wet shock

And if the pipes go up from the boiler, you will **** the boiler with all that water...

Has to be a drain down. The supplied fittings are end feed, not compresson!

Has to be a drain down. The supplied fittings are end feed, not compresson!

both actually.

also anyone suggesting the OP should turn off any isolation valves should hang their head in shame.

[quote="

also anyone suggesting the OP should turn off any isolation valves should hang their head in shame.

Dont be a teese, tell us why :D

no need for start, secondly they may leak.

Isn't that a sad reflection on the quality of isolation valves and the cheapness on the stuff we buy to win cheap customers and remain competitive.

Also, the Magnaclean valves themselves are not up to much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back