Do I need to make a planning application?

reading through this thread again reminds me why sometimes it is easier to just put in full planning instead.

Sponsored Links
OK - to be very clear: the distance from the original rear wall of the dwelling (the rear wall of the outrigger), to the rear most point of the rear-most proposed extension is 3m.

Oh right. In that case, one more complication might be that through demolishing the original outrigger to then rebuild and extend it, the council may well take the measurement from the rearmost wall you are not demolishing as in effect you are building a 6m extension (albeit you refer to part of the extension as a re-build).

Not sure you will get much more useful advice on here, you may be at the point of having to decide whether to seek the Council's view (i.e. apply for an LDC), or wing it.

Oh right. In that case, one more complication might be that through demolishing the original outrigger to then rebuild and extend it, the council may well take the measurement from the rearmost wall you are not demolishing as in effect you are building a 6m extension (albeit you refer to part of the extension as a re-build).

Not sure you will get much more useful advice on here, you may be at the point of having to decide whether to seek the Council's view (i.e. apply for an LDC), or wing it.
So if we follow our plan, the original outrigger will remain intact since it is only the old 3m extension that we will be rebuilding. Promise!

and if you get full planning, you can choose to demolish it or just add on, and nobody can complain...

Sponsored Links
and if you get full planning, you can choose to demolish it or just add on, and nobody can complain...
With full planning I would be willing to place a bet that they would not allow the 3m extension that is infilling the gap. At least they would not allow it unless I lowered the whole thing to fence height (around 2m) and then dug down. I had a look through old planning applications and they were pretty much rejecting all rear extensions on terraced houses due to amenity of neighbours.

Oh, that's a bummer. How far back was the last rejected one?

This is my last attempt (!). If you demolish the old 3 metre extension, then rebuild that, plus 3 metres, it will considered as a 6m extension.

I'm going to have to withdraw from proceedings as I can't make it any clearer :)

This is my last attempt (!). If you demolish the old 3 metre extension, then rebuild that, plus 3 metres, it will considered as a 6m extension.

I'm going to have to withdraw from proceedings as I can't make it any clearer :)

PD extensions are more about changes in size and volume than retention of actual fabric.

Sure if you demolish the extensions then put in an application they will count it as 6m, but assuming that wont happen it would count as changes to the existing fabric plus an extension. Whether you rebuilt large parts of it or not doesn't really seem to be stipulated in the PD order.

Although that existing outrigger doesn't look original, although it may well be older than 1948 and therefore okay, but I'd expect the LPA to query it and ask for proof (historic maps maybe?)

lt8 - It isn't written anywhere in the PD rules regarding the "Gap" it's come from precedent and it would probably apply everywhere (single storey / 2 storey / side / rear etc.)

I.E. If you have a side wrap around extension and want to put a rear extension immediately next to it, if the extension "reads" as one then even if it is separated by a few millimetres, it's likely to be judged as one big extension (especially so If it has clearly been built to function as one large extension). Tony's last post puts it across well.

Think we have wires crossed, I'm talking about butting up to existing outriggers, think you are talking about existing extensions?

The rules to stop PD extensions butting up to other extensions is to stop people simply building one extension, then the next, and then another, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back