Do i need to rebuild the steps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMAG0386.jpg
IMAG0387.jpg
oHi,

I'm just looking for your opinion on this job I'm needing done at the front of my house. Essentially, all I'm after is to re-tile / slab the stairs leading to my front door. However, I've been advised that I should really look to replace the steps completely.
The reason being that the surface of the concrete steps is crumbling and it would be unlikely that the tile/slab would hold for anymore than a couple of years.
My obvious concern is that this is a lot bigger job than I expected and only want to do it if absolutely necessary.
The make up of the stairs seems to be that they are hollow. I drilled through a couple of them and found about 1 1/2" thickness.
The steps show no sign of weakness. And certainly don't look like they're ready to fall down, it's just the surface concrete showing signs of weathering.
What's your thoughts? Should I be replacing the steps, or is there a way I can make good the existing steps and 're-tile?

I have (hopefully ) attached some pics for your information.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0387.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
From the pictures they look alright, see how solid the concrete is and chip off the old tile adhesive.

There are a few difficulties with your stairs:

You will have to establish what they have been built with - it could be masonry structure or an 1 1/2" sand & cement layer over a timber frame.
How come there are cracks in the "concrete" treads & risers?
The curved cheek shows signs of water penetration & previous repairs to the Tyrolean(?).

The old adhesive is mastic - cementitious powder adhesive should have been used.
Adhesive must be combed on & back buttered on the tile - 100% coverage is needed.
New tiles must be non-slip with appropriate nosings.
All the red (quarry?) tile up to the door threshold should be replaced.

Is the railing fixed through the tiles - or are the tiles set around the fixings?

steps seem sound if a bit ragged, I would chip them off and then set new tiles on a decent layer of cement based adhesive. just check that it's suitable for outside use

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

There are no signs of cracks in the concrete itself. Just a rough finish due to weather ( I assume). Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether this is made up of concrete or a sand cement mix.
So if I'm understanding the general consensus, then a complete rebuild is not entirely necessary? My plan would be to give the steps a new surface using self levelling concrete then fix the tiles on top using a suitable adhesive. ( Any recommendations?)
The tile I intend to use is non slip and is about 20mm thick. The railing is to be cut away and replaced once the tiles have been done.
Thanks again

OP,
The steps, as they stand, would not meet current Bldg Regs.
You must be careful about building up the treads with re-surfacing mortar and 20mm tile thereby altering the riser dimensions.

Until you have removed all the tile and adhesive, & thoroughly cleaned off the surfaces - and posted fresh pics it would be advisable for you to wait for further comments before starting work.

Hi vinn,

I'm not sure I need to be to concerned over building regs. This is not a job the council will be signing off anyway. Surely if I built up each step by 2" then the rise would remain the same throughout?
Once I have stripped all the old adhesive and tiles I'll post new pics.
Thanks again

I'm not saying that BCO will be involved but if you change the steps & an accident takes place then your insurance will perhaps not cover you.

Given a proposed rise of 2":
Your first/bottom riser will rise by an extra 2" from ground level. The bottom riser will now be 2" higher than any other riser.
Your top riser must also rise by 2" - hence the whole upper platform, up to the door threshold, will have to rise by 2".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back