Do I need to seal the underside of flat roof decking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a flat roof with new ply and EPDM rubber, I know years ago it was best practice to seal the edges of the ply with gloss and varnish the underside, is this still recommended?

Sponsored Links
I dont know anybody that does that, but I guess it would protect the board if it rains before the epdm goes on and help if there should ever be a leak.

I cant see how it serves any function for the duration of the epdm doing its job correctly....

I guess it's partially to stop a leak from doing too much damage as you say and partially to keep atmospheric moisture out, the top would be sealed with adhesive and the sides and bottom sealed with paint/varnish.

Sponsored Links
i would personally not seal the bottom
if you have a leak and it stops and holds the water then you may not know about the leak until the painted surface lets water through because the sheet has lost its strength
where as a leak will not damage the board if fixed when the damp patches first appear

i would personally not seal the bottom
if you have a leak and it stops and holds the water then you may not know about the leak until the painted surface lets water through because the sheet has lost its strength
where as a leak will not damage the board if fixed when the damp patches first appear

That's maybe a good point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back