DO I NEED TO SMOOTH OFF FLAKY PAINT EDGES?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and please don't judge :) In need of urgent help please!!! I have always done my own decorating but I am now really losing the plot. I'll apologise in advance for the essay.

A few years ago I decorated my flat with textured paint, not to everyones taste but I liked it. Had some work done to my flat and had to use artex to try and patch, it didn't look good tbh bit obvious that it wouldn't really. I have also had the reoccurrence of vertical cracking down my walls (various rooms), the housing association said they are my responsibility. I have tried a few different products to try and fill but after a month or so they reappear. I have now decided to strip the rooms and start again - with woodchip!! I am hoping once all the repairs/filling done the woodchip will cover and not make a bad job, I have used it in the past and I don't mind it tbh.

My next issue is the flaking paint and the blown plaster. If the flaking paint is going under woodchip does it have to be all smooth edges or can I get rid of the loose bits and once papered it won't show. I have tapped the wall in various places to find any blown areas and I have, if the plaster hasn't come away I am going to leave it and say a pray. I have never plastered before so don't know which or what I am doing, and can't afford a plasterer, but as it will be under paper I hope I can make a passable job.

As I say sorry for the essay but I am at my wits end with this flat :( Any advice and help is much appreciated. I have attached a few photos and hope they help to explain the mess I am in.

Thank you in advance :)

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/please-advise-about-flaking-paint.571070/#ixzz6ukNi5ezN

Sponsored Links
You are only looking at ridges that are about 1mm or less. Woodchip will hide it.

I can't stand the stuff personally, but it you are happy, then go for it.

If you were going to use lining paper, I would recommend using filler to feather the edges first.

Thanks opps. Once I scrape the flaky bits and run my hand over I can feel them but not too thick I think. I chose the woodchip as it hopefully will cover a multitude of sins, its easy to hang, cheap, no matching and I love retro I've had it years ago and quite liked it thankfully

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back