Do I need to stop it out and start again?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I laid my first concrete edging piece and I don’t think I have the the fall correct from the word go. I’m Laying an Indian stone patio

It’s a 2.7m x 4m patio but the fall is going to be on the 2.7m from front to back

I’ve installed my first flat top edge (there is a gap under spirit level as it’s not 100% flat)

I feel that maybe the fall should be bigger (the spirit level shown is 1.8m long and the first edge is 92xm long, so the spirit level would show the slope over the 1.8m length based on the angle of the current edge

Am I overthinking this? Should I rip it up and start again or will a 1cm fall over 2.7m length suffice?

IMG_2986.jpeg

Sponsored Links
So 2700/80 = 33.75 = 3.4cm drop

Is that overkill and will it show up too much?

So basically I should rip it out and start again? Doh

So 2700/80 = 33.75 = 3.4cm drop

Is that overkill and will it show up too much?

So basically I should rip it out and start again? Doh
1:80 is a benchmark recommendation. Some jobs have to rely on less because of contributing factors. Lesser fall means more precise slab laying is required. Unless your stone is super flat smooth, you will end up with individual little ponds due to the texture, in any case.

The patios below had a wee bit less especially the top images.

Sponsored Links
1:80 is a benchmark recommendation. Some jobs have to rely on less because of contributing factors. Lesser fall means more precise slab laying is required. Unless your stone is super flat smooth, you will end up with individual little ponds due to the texture, in any case.

The patios below had a wee bit less especially the top images.

It’s a textured Indian stone I’m laying. There is an aco channel going next to the path edge thet runs behind my terraced house (so not directly next to house)

It’s probably not far off level based on the first edge… maybe I should take it out considering I’m at this stage…. Would you?

It’s probably not far off level based on the first edge… maybe I should take it out considering I’m at this stage…. Would you?
Not necessarily, no. I work out all my falls before I even put a shovel in the ground - i.e. I always have somewhere for the water to go. I will introduce the minimum amount of fall as I dare, in order to achieve what I need to do. 1:80 is fairly steep as far as I'm concerned, but I do take a lot of care when laying the slabs. Any hollows in a slightly falling patio, will end up as shallow puddles.

I’ve bought a 3m length of timber and cut it down to 2.7m (length of patio where fall is), and put a long spirit level in the middle.

I’ve used it to set up a string line and the total fall is just over 20mm across the 2.7m length.

I calculate this as a 1:120 fall. Any more than this I feel it will look too much of a gradient.
Ultimately I’m putting an ACO in so I really should have a gentle gradient of some sort otherwise it’s pointless having the ACO if it’s level

See pic below: fall will go from log cabin towards the path edge (where aco will be)

IMG_2965.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back