Do I need to treat the end of a stair runner to stop fraying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a carpet runner. The edges down the length are nicely done with binding tape. Do I need to do anything to the cut edges of the runner at the top and bottom and the cut edge of the landing carpet?

At the top:
Am I right in thinking that I will just be butting the top edge up against the bottom of the bull nose on the top step (i.e the bull nose of the landing)? If so, do I need to put some glue or resin on the cut edge of the runner or is it sufficiently out of the way of feet/hoovers that it won't fray?
There is a carpet on that top landing which I think I will be rolling over the top of that first bullnose and then tacking to the underside of the bull nose. So will the cut top edge of the runner actually be tucked up and protected behind the edge of the landing carpet?
Do I need to treat the edge of the landing carpet that will be wrapped round the bullnose and meeting the top riser?

At the bottom:
Do I just fold a few inches over and then tack it to the bottom riser without a gripper? Or should there be a gripper on the bottom riser too, and if so, how do I get a neat finish where the runner on the bottom riser meets the tiles of the entrance hall floor?

Edit: Oh, and if I do need glue/resin. Please can you kindly recommend a product preferably that I can readily get from a DIY shed or screwfix/toolstation - I'm not sure if local carpet stores are open for people to buy small items in lockdown.

Sponsored Links
Best for sealing the edge of carpet is Copydex I would use a joining strip at the top myself, at the bottom if folded back and carpet tacks used they should be lost in the pile.

Thanks footprints. My carpet is actually loop rather than pile, so I just tested the tacks on an offcut and they really pull the carpet. So even though you don't really see the black head of the tack, it does look a bit like way the buttons pull the material in on a Chesterfield sofa. Now worried about it.

If I started from bottom up, I could start the runner going down the riser of the bottom step (loops facing the riser) , then hammer a gripper on top (ie nails going through) that bit of runner right at the bottom of the riser , then fold the runner back over itself and the gripper and up the first riser. That would give an invisible fixing at the bottom.

BUT... I don't have a knee kicker. Is it possible to fit a runner from the bottom up with just a bolster?

Sponsored Links
You don't use a carpet stretcher on stairs as a rule. A bit of trim to match the flooring fitted with suitable panel pins might be the best solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back