Do I need to vent kitchen sink waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run approx 4m straight length of 40mm kitchen waste. This will be connected to the kitchen sink and a dishwasher. I will put rodding points at either end of the 4m pipe.

Do I also need to vent the pipe? I thought I read that if the pipe was over 3m a vent is needed, but I can't find that reference now.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with 50mm pipe for that length and it shouldn't need vented. You can reduce it to 40mm at the sink.

screenshot (2).png

Last edited:
Thanks, that sounds ideal. You you get a 50mm to 40mm tee connector? I've had a look and can't find one.

Sponsored Links
You need to watch the ABS from Toolstation. I've tried the Aqualflow pipe recently, the pipe is much heavier than other ABS pipe (OSMA/Floplast) and is around a mill larger, so if it's not their pipe with their fittings then make sure you use plenty of glue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back