Do I need underlay over isorubber for laminate flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new build flat and i chose it without flooring. Over the concrete floor they have put an isorubber top which looks like the image in the link below:

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/isorubber_top.html

I'm wondering whether I need to put down some underlay before the laminate goes down.

Also, any suggestions on good underlay would be very helpful!

I will be using 12mm thick laminate from wickes (not sure what the AC rating is).

Sponsored Links
Definately use a seperate underlay, something like Duralay Duratex will give a nice firm finish and add to the sound and temperature insulation much better than the thin foam stuff. 4mm Fibreboard Laminate underlay would work well too.

Definately use a seperate underlay, something like Duralay Duratex will give a nice firm finish and add to the sound and temperature insulation much better than the thin foam stuff. 4mm Fibreboard Laminate underlay would work well too.

Thanks. If I use something like duralay over the isorubber is there a risk of bounce?

The developers told me that their own floor fitters lay the laminate directly on the isotubber.

Thanks. If I use something like duralay over the isorubber is there a risk of bounce?

The developers told me that their own floor fitters lay the laminate directly on the isotubber.

I ant magineyou will have. Bounce issue, neither product is soft or deep. Builders installers do an awful lot of things 'differently' to the main stream fitting trade, usually to cut time and costs (but not to your advantage)

Sponsored Links

I ant magineyou will have. Bounce issue, neither product is soft or deep. Builders installers do an awful lot of things 'differently' to the main stream fitting trade, usually to cut time and costs (but not to your advantage)

I've noticed that duralay duratex doesnt have a dpm. Is this something i need?
The underlay will go between the isorubber (glued on the floor) and the laminate.

If i use an underlay which has a dpm (like selitac from B&Q) could this cause issues with moisture if it sits between the isorubber and the laminate?

On to concrete Floor TimbermateXL, on Wood floors the sister product Duratex.

The thing is there is already an isorubber underlay stuck to the floor.

Can I use duratex between the rubber underlay and the laminate?

Or will this cause the boards to move?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back