Do I really need to drain my system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, apologies if this seems like I'm waffling - I read the forum rules & it says to include as much info as possible :oops:
I have a Triton LP Thermostatic Mixer shower, which over the last couple of weeks has got steadily colder. It was working fine previously, nothing has changed, hot water is still available from all the other taps in the house, and the 'hot' supply pipe to the unit still gets warm.
From lots of other stuff I've read, I'm assuming this means that the 'cartridge' is knackered & needs to be replaced, which looks like a pretty simple swap out job (please yell if you think it might be something else)
I've found where the supply pipes run into the airing cupboard, but there's only a gate valve fitted to the cold supply, and nothing to allow me to switch off the hot water :(
Can anyone recommend a way of either 'retro-fitting' some sort of stop valve into the existing pipe, or should I try some sort of 'freezing' spray?
All suggestions welcome, as I haven't done much plumbing (gimme a computer to fix anytime :!: ) - I really don't want to go through the hassle of draining the whole hot water system

Sponsored Links
No "hassle" draining hot water, turn off stop tap+ open hot taps,job done!

Sponsored Links
How does turning off the mains enable the stopping of the HW without draining the CWS? That's my main problem.

Opening hot taps,as stated in my reply will drain CWS,unless i am mistaken.

I've given up replacing shower cartridges with the exception of mira.

Triton ones are a pure bstart to replace mate as are Aqualisa.

Triton will do it for a fixed price.

Yes, you are since you completely omitted the fact that the CWS will be drained via your method when the OP specifically asked "do I really need to drain the system?". Your post also implied that turning off the stop tap would also stop the HW flow.

Your method needlessly deprives him or her or a complete cylinder of hot water, which is totally unnecessary and pointlessly expensive.

So, all in all, you are mistaken.

Yes, you are since you completely omitted the fact that the CWS will be drained via your method when the OP specifically asked "do I really need to drain the system?". Your post also implied that turning off the stop tap would also stop the HW flow.

Your method needlessly deprives him or her or a complete cylinder of hot water, which is totally unnecessary and pointlessly expensive.

C'mon then, gobby ,just how would you go about renewing cartridge if no gate valve on cold feed to cylinder? A cylinder full of hot water,wasted,?
Put the plug in the bath and get a bath when finished :LOL:

C'mon then, gobby ,just how would you go about renewing cartridge if no gate valve on cold feed to cylinder? A cylinder full of hot water,wasted,?
Put the plug in the bath and get a bath when finished :LOL:
Buy a set of bungs and get ya arm wet ;) :LOL:

We have just changed our system to HP - so we have a Triton LP Cartridge (only six months old) for sale if you're interested ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back