Do I Tile Here Or Use Moulding Or....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've bought a bit of a fixer upper, I bought a new bathroom in thinking I could keep the tiles and paint them over as a quick fix, ultimately retiling after like a year or so.

Anyway, when the plumbers put the bath and basin in, a lot of the tiles came off, and so now i'm left with a space above the bath and all around below the sink, next to the radiator etc.

I know I can scrape the adhesive off/some of the tile backing still on, but I'm thinking it wont be perfectly level.... So I assume tiling will be difficult and therefore I should either look at things like mosiac tiles or maybe long strips of moulding may be more forgiving.......

It's like 3m squared and quotes for pros came in at like £300 for labour (assume 2 days work?) and I can't really afford that with other priorities.

Any advice greatly received.

IMG-20200118-165022.jpg

IMG-20200118-165028.jpg

IMG-20200118-165019.jpg

Sponsored Links
Difficult to tell from the pictures but it appears the boarder tiles are all intact and the plumber only damaged the lower level.
If that is the case I would try and find similar size tiles and re-tile the affected area. However that appears to be a large gap between the wall and bath which will need addressing. Why is the gap so big?

OP, you've already run into difficulties accessing bath handles due to the design of the bath at home but now you've installed a bath with the taps, waste & overflow in an inconvenient perhaps even difficult position when any boxing-in has been done?
why have you set the bath in that position? what are the advantages? what do you now propose ref the gap?
you say a plumber has set your bath? who set the ped basin?
have your fixtures been water tested?
why wasn't the work on the walls (& ceiling?) done before any fixtures appeared?

is this room on the first floor or g/f?

do you intend to flip or rent the property?

OP, you've already run into difficulties accessing bath handles due to the design of the bath at home but now you've installed a bath with the taps, waste & overflow in an inconvenient perhaps even difficult position when any boxing-in has been done?
why have you set the bath in that position? what are the advantages? what do you now propose ref the gap?
you say a plumber has set your bath? who set the ped basin?
have your fixtures been water tested?
why wasn't the work on the walls (& ceiling?) done before any fixtures appeared?

is this room on the first floor or g/f?

do you intend to flip or rent the property?

The bathroom is small and thats the only position for the bath, the new bath is 1600, a 1700 wouldn't fit. Old bath was old and a weird length.

Plumber done both bath and basin. Fixtures been tested.

Work on the walls wasnt done before installation as the plumber seemed pretty confident the tiles would remain on the wall.

Room is 1st floor. I intend to live in the property.

I know tiling must be possible, just looking for some tips when trying to get the wall level etc.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to tell from the pictures but it appears the boarder tiles are all intact and the plumber only damaged the lower level.
If that is the case I would try and find similar size tiles and re-tile the affected area. However that appears to be a large gap between the wall and bath which will need addressing. Why is the gap so big?

The large gap is because old bath was in between a 1600 and 1700 and new bath is 1600, I know I'm going to have to box in the end and make a waterproof barrier which I'm OK with as it'll be flat. I'm mostly concerned with the old wall and keeping the wall flat where the tiles were.. Do you recommend a tile levelling system at all once I chip all the old adhesive away and have the wall mostly flat? I guess I should be prepared to use some polyfilla too in case some larger than desired chunks come loose?

A decent size spirit level should be all you need really. Aim to get tiles the same thickness as the old ones to save more of a headache. Tile using the bath top as the level and then down the side of the bath, potentially cutting at the floor/skirting height. Just try to follow the old tile position as best as possible.

Once tiled look at a quadrant or possible moulding to take the gap out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back