Do i understand my roof structure correctly?

The rafters are nailed to the ledger plate using 90mm collated nails. I thought this was common practice - Is that OK

I went a bit OTT on the size of the ledger board but as it wont be seen i am not too fussed about it.

I need to install a small fillet above the ledger board for the top tile batten to fit to. I realized the rafter calculator i used allowed for a fillet rather than the tops of the rafters hitting the wall after i had made all of the cuts!!

I was considering adding a smaller restraint strap mid door span as the door is 2.5m wide. I will pick some smaller depth ones up this week

Last rafter on the right is spaced differently as it has a cavity wall between it and the next rafter. Its only fixed temporarily to allow me to build the wall up then i will add a further rafter in between the 2 to close off against the wall.

Ridge and jack rafters are now in also just leaving the valley :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do i need to install joists between the existing and new wall or can it be left like this. I plan to use this as a home gym and thought the extra head height may be nice

BCO might want some kind of truss clip type thing at the rafter tops as theyre not sat atop the plate as woody says

Do i need to install joists between the existing and new wall or can it be left like this. I plan to use this as a home gym and thought the extra head height may be nice
As far as I can see you’re not relying on any ceiling joists to hold it together so should be able to go vaulted ... I think

Sponsored Links
upload_2020-8-4_15-18-21.png

This sort of set up?

Do you think this will be an issue? All the research i did most nailed back to the board.

I was thinking is there any sort of clip i should install at the bottom where the birds mouth is similar to the image above

The rafters are nailed to the ledger plate using 90mm collated nails. I thought this was common practice
No it's wrong. There is potential for the rafter to be pulled outwards, let alone the fact that vertical load is reliant on a couple of nails - unlike seating the rafters on top of a ledger board.

You should fit some brackets as per 23cv to restrain each rafter. Right angle brackets will do, instead of truss clips.

So right angle brackets fixed to each side of the rafter and back into the ledger?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back