Do MACs need security software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep Security guides are published. Bound to be Still don't change the fact that there has never been any Malware to have actually reached a Mac.
That's why they take a concern so that us customers don't have to buy protection.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional

When i grew up I realised there was no point using a rubbish Ford when I could afford a Roller. Same attitude when I switched from crap to Mac.
Never a problem since.

Haven't got the time to read all the links posted. Thanks anyway. time is money to me.

I now rest my case.

Well I seem to remember that this entire argument was started because you seemed to think antivirus was unnecessary because there has never been any malware, now I've given you a document from Apple stating that in actual fact Antivirus is recommended.

I see you failed to address my point regarding security updates via the software updater. If there has never been any malware why would Apple need to address issues on a regular basis? But if you wish to rest your case on such poor defence then feel free.

Here's a recent security update Apple have issued:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4435

You'll notice the various fixes regarding "arbitrary code execution" clearly illustrating that malware exists and can take advantage of services that run on Mac OSX. In fact the only reason they patch these things is because people have taken advantage of them.

Not even Apple deny the existence of malware on their platform simply because it's impossible to create a 100% secure system, malware does exist for Mac OSX, just because you haven't been affected does not mean that it does not exist.

You've been given several resources illustrating that malware exists, if you wish to remain blinkered then feel free, just don't give your biased opinion as fact to others.

Clearly you seem to think you're getting a better product because you spend more, are you aware that most servers out there providing internet services run on Linux or BSD? Both of which are completely free, a prime example that a more expensive product does not mean a better product in the field of operating systems. I run a free operating system and I guarantee I'm able to achieve much more with mine than you're able to with Mac OSX.

It's simple Apple have an incredibly good marketing department and you seem to be unable to distinguish between fact and marketing spin.

Sponsored Links
My PHD never went that far. More realistic, real world

Whether you have a PhD or not is completely irrelevant, you've been given evidence that refutes your argument and I believe that stands on it's own merit without mentioning personal achievements.

By the way it's PhD, with a lower case 'h'. I'm fairly sure that someone who had attained a PhD degree wouldn't make that mistake.

Most Mac owners seem to think their invulnerable. Perhaps at one time they were, but sadly no more.
The only reason Mac's suffer less than PC's is simple. There are more PC's connected to the internet than Mac's. It has been suggested that the first viruses/trojans for Mac's were actually developed by people who worked for Apple.
At one time it was suggested that Mac's were immune due to the fact that they used RISC processors. Strange that Mac's now use Intel based processors.

Sponsored Links
At one time it was suggested that Mac's were immune due to the fact that they used RISC processors. Strange that Mac's now use Intel based processors.

B******s then and b******s now. It doesn't matter if the CPU is CISC or RISC, it executes code like any other.

I have two old apple mac's here. One's the type that's all in one Monitor and gubbins all in the monitor. The other is a tower model complete with a brand new unused crt monitor. The tower unit has only been switched on about 10 times from new. Has hardly ever been used. I was given these as part payment for a job I did a few years back. Probably worth something to an affecionado, or keeping for twenty years then put in a museum.

The tower one is a PowerMac 8110/110 . The other one is a Macintosh Performa 5320.
The inside of the PowerMac is absolutely pristine. Hardly any dust or s***e in there at all.
I only have one keyboard/mouse between the two though. For some reason Apple seem to have used strange connectors for everything. I did want to connect one of them to the internet, but the cable needed to do this is in somewhat short supply now. :(

ADB for the keyboard/mouse and an AAUI port so you can pick the PHY for networking. Shouldn't be too hard to find an AAUI PHY or an AUI PHY and an adapter..

I bet this is all stuff powerfulp is too young to know about. ;)

That's Cornish language Monkey. Tin Mine slang probably. I only speak the Queens's english.

That's Cornish language Monkey. Tin Mine slang probably. I only speak the Queens's english.

So you proclaim Macs are superior to PCs but you don't know what ADB and AAUI are? How long have you been using Macs?

And no, none of it is Kernowek. Sorry, you may not know that word. Cornish. Our language.

Foreign is it ? Similar to Albanian I'm told. Sounds lyrical somehow.

Still sidestepping the point because you don't actually know the first thing about the subject, I see.

It's also interesting to note that you're spewing complete crap about a totally seperate subject because you don't know anything about it, either.

Just so you might learn something: Cornish has nothing in common with Albanian. It's a Celtic language, fairly closely related to Welsh.

OK Monkey you are obviously a self appointed Professor so be useful.
I need to know and use Enigma 2 a bit promptly. Give me a reference to where you learned it and I will recognise your ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back