Do newly formed bulges in wallpaper suggest a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed some newly formed bulges in the wallpaper near a doorway on the first floor bedroom of a semi.

In the adjoining, room a new bulge appears to have formed in the wallpaper covering the ceiling.

I've ripped the wallpaper off, and thought its quite difficult to tell, it appears that at least in the bedroom there appears to be some moisture of the wall.

I've had a look at the pipes running through the loft upstairs but cannot seem to locate a leak of any kind. I've also just had a combi installed, previously with water tank etc.

I'll probably call a plumber. Should i switch the water mains off and drain the system of water in the meantime?

Sponsored Links
They suggest a leak that needs investigating but as water isn't pouring through the ceiling can you not look up in the loft and see if you can identify the source? Then maybe use a tub or towel until you or someone can solve the problem.

I wouldnt think you would need to rush to turn the water off if its not puring out.

Being a sealed combi now, are you having to regularly top up the pressure on the boiler? do the radiator pipes run inside the walls?

Its quite a coincedence that this is happening shortly after presurising the system, but you also need to consider damp from outside/slates/pointing etc

Sponsored Links
When the loft tanks were disconnected the plumbers could have carelessly spilt residue water from the tanks or pipework. Has all pipework in the loft been capped off, and drained down - no deadlegs present? Have all tanks been removed?

The bulge in the ceiling wallpaper could be pin pricked and observed for any escaping water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back